or Connect

Posts by vachi73

This may or may not be useful, but I thought I'd share it. NiteNicole mentioned impulses, which echoes my thoughts on this topic. My 9yo talks incessantly and interrupts others - at home, and at school. I hadn't really been fully aware of it until we had to go through some testing for some learning issues at school. But his teachers BOTH indicated the issue with interrupting others and talking nonstop. Well, turns out, my DS has inattentive-type ADD. It's mild, but...
Thanks for all three posts. He is an interesting kid -- "unmeasurably high" verbal IQ, coupled with really low processing speed, mild inattentive ADD, and dysgraphia. Oh, and perfect (musical) pitch. I think I am not smart enough to parent him very well, but I try really hard. That said, I agree that it could be anxiety-related. I certainly struggle with anxiety. He also picks at his fingernails, which I do think is 100% a nervous (anxious) habit. That one has abated a...
My 9yo DS is a constant, persistent nose picker. Particularly his left index finger in his left nostril. I drove on a field trip yesterday and witnessed his finger up his nose for probably 60% of the time. He does it absentmindedly, when he is listening/thinking. I don't think he is totally aware that he does it. We do know that he has a deviated septum, and that makes his left nostril small and "congested" feeling. So that's definitely a factor. I'm sure that we will...
I was sicker - much, much sicker - and sooner with my twins. However, even though the vomiting started at 6-6.5 weeks or so, it actually ended sooner than in my singleton pregnancies - go figure. Not sure if it's just that the hormone surge happened sooner or the fact that I was on a Zofran pump (medication) starting at 10 weeks that made the difference, or both.   I don't think 28 counts as "advanced maternal age" though! HA! That made me smile. I was 36 when I had...
Update: all that worry for nothing!!! I reported accurate numbers and she didn't even mention it. My BP was slightlyelevated (for me ... not elevated in any other sense of the word) so I could tell that I was a little nervous, but she didn't mention that, either. So ... I need to chill out!!   3 cm/50% effaced/baby at 0 to +1 station... Looks to be a fast one, once it starts!   Thanks so much - all of you - for talking me off the ledge yesterday! I will be really...
I am too repulsed by the smell of alcohol in the first 20 weeks to even consider it. I hated when my DH would breathe "wine breath" on me if he'd had a glass. LOL   In the third trimester, I am more relaxed about it, and will enjoy a small glass when I feel like it. Especially if I am having a lot of contractions, etc. Just have to balance w/ water to stay hydrated.   I think this is a very personal decision, and you have to live w/ whatever you decide. I...
I am just over 37 weeks along, and have my regular appointment today. I weigh at home the morning of each appointment and report when I get there -- I guess for consistency's sake, they do it this way? -- and in one week since my last appointment, I have gained exactly ... zero pounds. Not even a half pound.   Let me be clear - I am eating like a horse! I am in no way under-eating or over-exercising. Impossible to do the latter, since I'm not exercising at all,...
I have had a wide variety of maternity clothes, almost exclusively hand-me-downs (or shared stash), especially with this pregnancy and my last (twin) pregnancy. Here is what I feel I have learned:   1. Consignment/used clothes are your best friends. There are actually a couple of online services that are essentially rental or consignment maternity clothes. Could be worth it - especially for an "odd" item that you would otherwise never buy.   2. Unfortunately, you...
To be totaly honest, I am losing patience with the potty training process this time. I welcome any ideas here -- even "go back to diapers," which would probably be a relief vs status quo. Background: this post concerns DS3 and DS4, who are fraternal twins. DS1 (8.5) and DS2 (7) managed to be potty trained by 3 or so with minimal struggle (NO struggle with DS1). DS3 and DS4 are almost 3.5 yo (3y2m if you adjust for prematurity). We are four weeks from EDD for baby #5,...
Hi Katie - thanks for the response. I guess a lot of people read this thread but only one response -- does that mean I am really crazy?! ha!   I took some of your advice yesterday, including making a list (or actually three lists, but who's counting?) I also did some research on potentially adding some more child care help before and/or after baby is born. We had already thought of some help AFTER, but may add an extra set of hands now and then before baby...