or Connect

Posts by seriosa

IMO the rationale about keeping cats indoors because they live longer is like saying we should keep lions in zoos for the same reason. I had an indoor only cat when I lived in a 3rd floor appartment. We moved to a ground floor with garden on a quiet street when she was 14, and it gave her a new lease on life. She had been old, slow and apathetic in the last couple of years in the apartment, she actually put on weight, started playing and even running again, once we moved...
Here in italy bicycle helmets are not obligatory for anyone (DS wears one, I don't), but ski helmets are mandatory for everyone throughout the country.
I think that as in almost everything, being involved and having a say increases appreciation. Not that its necessary, its just nicer. I negotiate meals a lot with DS. My requirement is that meals should be as varied as possible and that every meal must include a protein, a veggie, a starch and a fruit. Beyond this DS is allowed 3 foods he will not eat, and these can vary over time (like he recently decided to substitute beans for eggplants on his list - which makes part...
There is no "other" option, so I didn't vote. On the wednesday night you described I might have one. Or I might have a nice herbal tea. Say 2 or 3 times a month, more likely in the cold season than in the warm. But DH & I drink wine as a part of dinner. We typically drink a bottle a week between the two of us which adds up to about a glass or maybe two per day between sunday when we open the bottle, and tuesday, wednesday when we finish it. The rest of the week is water...
DS has a shower or a bath every day, practically since he was born. He uses oil-based non foaming detergents for skin and hair. I do notice that my almost 8 yo no longer has that baby odour - he is somehow starting to have a bit of a boy-smell at the end of the day. I can't really describe it, its not actually a sweaty or dirty smell but he doesn't smell the same as when he was younger. He has a boy in his class who does actually smell unwashed. DS and his other classmates...
Never smoked (never smoked anything actually). I do agree that MJ could just as well be legal, but it isn't. I want my child to grow up knowing that respect for the law is important. You can be a concientious objector and defy the law for important moral issues. But in my opinion its not OK to do so for recreation, and I would want to be clear to my children on that point.
My almost 8yo starts his bedtime routine around 9pm, and is usually asleep a little before 10. We wake him at 6.45 am on school days. When he can wake up on his own its usually around 8am. On the one hand that makes me think he could be using an hour more sleep, but its really difficult (difficult for me logistically, but also he is dead set against) putting him to bed even half an hour earlier as we have tried to do. He is not grumpy or "off" the days we wake him early...
Thanks for the replies - and the reassurance. My fridge has an electronic thermostat and we keep it at 4°C. The meat was paper-wrapped - I guess my butcher knows his stuff (and me thinking it was just a quaint old fasioned habit lol!). It did not look or smell wrong, so I have frozen it. I will thaw out the steaks before cooking, but I will take your advice CarrieMF and put the roast in the oven still frozen. Thanks again
Quote: Originally Posted by wombatclay Mostly DH and I read cookbooks as literature or flip through them as a sort of pretty picture/inspiration thing. Exactly! I have 50-60. Its so relaxing. Occasionally I will cook out of them, but I am a practised cook on my own and don't really need to follow any recipies. I just enjoy browsing them and fantasizing. I do the same with gardening books too!
Not sure where to put this - here? Arts & Crafts? TAO? Mods please move if necessary. Anyway... in my garden I have a beautiful, lush hedge of lavendar. Every autumn I prune it and harvest armfulls of fragrant blossoms…. which end up in the compost! Can anyone tell me how to use these to do something perfumy like sachets for closets or scents for home? I have tried just bagging them, but unless they are actually manipulated, they don’t release any scent. And is there...