or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by seriosa

DS had his first taste of coke when he was 4. At a birthday, and diluted with water. We never have any type of soda in the house so no problem with that. DS likes coke or other soft drinks at parties and those are occasional enough that I don't mind. The odd thing though is that if we eat out, even if others present (kids included) order soft drinks, he will always ask for water. As if sodas were exclusively party fare to him..
Wow, reading these rules many seem to be "character forming". We are more prosaic, some things just would never have come to mind. Like DS has never hit, or bitten or kicked anyone as far as I know. Yelling can and does happen and is aplogised for and forgiven. We have mainly "practical behaviour" rules in our house: - Food is eaten in the kitchen. - No jumping on the furniture - TV time for DS is between 6pm and dinner only. - We wash hands when we come in from...
DS6yo also sets the table for meals (does not clear because DH eats later so most of the table remains laid for him). He fixes his own snacks and puts tableware he uses for this in the sink when done. He makes his bed every morning before school. He hangs his coats, puts away his shoes, puts his dirty clothes in the hamper when he undresses, and reusable ones over the back of a chair (he usually asks me what goes where). He tidies his room after play and in any case every...
Really instructive, thanks!
Other. DS6yo gets 5 Euro/week from his grandmother, and has been getting this same amount for the past 3 years! My MIL acutally gives this same default amount to all her grandkids, including the 16yo one, lol. As the €s have added up we have put them in a small savings account. But in the past few months, DS has become "possessive" about his money, which he now keeps in a piggy bank and counts and recounts. At Easter MIL gave him 20€ and he decided to buy a toy. He...
We mainly try to apply what he learns, or will have to learn. For example when he was learning how to write we would sit at the kitchen table and he would write down the grocery list, then read through it at the store. Now he is doing additions and subtractions, and of course counting money, making purchases is the most obvious application. We got him a big pull-out book on the human body when he started doing it in science. Birds in the garden, earthworms, plants, we go...
I live in Italy where 90% approx of the population is homogenously italian and the remaining 10% are mainly first generation immigrants, the majority of them eastern european. So probably the situation here is more similar to yours in Germany. Dark faces are few and far between, and mostly belong to people struggling to adapt, to speak the language, to be accepted. Dark skinned role models are pratically inexistent. Toys, book illustrations, commercials depict white...
We've always had nightly baths for DS, first in the tub where I washed him, now at 6 he showers on his own. Its part of the bedtime relaxation routine. We use an oil based detergent not regular soap. His short hair is washed daily too, as part of the package.
At my son's creche they suggested I sleep the night in a soft old T-shirt or something, and then leave it with them the next morning for DS to nap with.
My son was in a creche from age 6 months, from 9am to 6pm. True, that is not 6 weeks. But two things the "headteacher" told me there reassured me: 1) your child knows who his/her mother is. No one can take your place. 2) Accept that if you leave your child many hours, when you are together you must really be together. Your working hours are, in the childs eyes, your "me time". Your at home hours belong to your child. You don't need to follow the book (any book) to...
New Posts  All Forums: