or Connect

Posts by seriosa

Last Friday I bought some steaks and a small roast cut (beef), brought them home and placed them in the meat drawer in the fridge intending to dress them later and then freeze them. Fast forward to today, its Wednesday and yikes, I have just realised that the meat is still in the fridge! Is it still safe to use? Can I still freeze it raw considering that I don’t have a microwave so thawing it for cooking would entail another 12 hours or so in the fridge? FWIW the meat is...
I had my son in daycare 9 hours a day from the age of 6 mos to 5 years. We are super super close and have always been so. I think you are doing it just right, your child knows you are there for him. When he is with caretakers he is fine, and when he is with you he knows he is the center of your attention, you are really with him. From my own personal experience, I do feel at peace with the decision made to continue working full time, and with how my son has lived...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom2happy He's a little kid and doesnt want to miss out on anything in life. It's my job to teach him those annoying things. I totally agree with that, but you do expect them to learn eventually. My DS will be 8 at the end of the year, do you see yourself accompanying yours to wash his hands every day for the next 3 years (and counting)? Quote: Originally Posted by janasmama your son may not...
Wow, thought-provoking responses: Janasmama & LynnS6- I tend to hold back from supervising, because I don't like the idea of "policing" which is what it comes to in my mind. I tend to think that a simple, everyday thing if asked should be done. But perhaps supervision is what he needs, and it is not realistic of me to expect differently at this stage? I have never spent time with children before having my son, so I often question if my expectations from him may not be...
So this afternoon I was watching TV. DS comes in, flops on the sofa beside me and kicks off his shoes. I ask him to take them to his room, put them away and put on his slippers. He goes to his room and returns with the slippers. I ask him "Did you put the shoes away properly, side by side?" Because his usual method is to get to the door, then throw in the shoes (or book, or toy, or whatever it is he has to put away). Anyway, he answers yes, so end of story. Until...
Thought experiments and such aside, really, customs and social mores do change and evolve. Sure right now there is some risk of ridicule - great or small depending on where you live - in sending your little boy into the world in pink boots and frilly leggings. And yes, as a parent I will weigh the cost/benfits of my choices and my sons choices on his overall well-being. I do think however that the benefit of encouraging my son to be himself, and to stand for his ideas is...
I definitely disgree with the notion that gender identiy is learned. Gender identity is what it is, what is learned is the "appropriate" behaviour for one's (perceived) gender. Through the ages there have been pratical, survival motivated reasons for precise gender definition and differentiation. Gender appropriate behaviour was modeled, taught and expected for the good of all society. (ETA : and a lot of societies also had/have assigned roles and accepted behaviours for...
When DH & I started out we split chores by rooms. Once a week we would do a good clean up of every rooms, and we divided by "wet" rooms (kitchen & bathroom) which took longer to do, and "dry" rooms (living & bedrooms). We rotated each week. During the week stuff was done haphazardly when it grossed out someone. Saturdays were tiring marathons to get back to clean after a week of neglect. DS changed our rythms, we slowly evolved into doing things based on likes & dislikes,...
If your son forgot he gave you that permission, then really it is his problem, not yours. I definitely wouldn't beat myself up over that he changed his mind. It can be a learning occasion for him how to pay more attention, or better ponder on his decisions. About the batteries - what a pity, but hey, who doesn't make mistakes. If decluttering is your goal, keep thinking on the overall benefits to everyone - a couple of rechargeable batteries is a reasonable price to pay!
I just posted a similar reply on another thread here. I tell my DS "we have no more space, so no more new toys till some old ones leave". Try selling them that idea at birthday or christmas time, and watch stuff fly out. And if it doesn't - stick to your word. At least you won't be adding to the clutter, even if you haven't managed to reduce it.