or Connect

Posts by seriosa

I always ask DS's permission before decluttering his stuff. I mean it is his. But we have a rule (applies to grownups too!) that everything must be put away in an appropriate place. Like books belong in the bookcase only, not stacked on the desk or on the floor. So when his bookcase is full up, it means something old has to leave before anything new comes in. Same for the toy bins, his clothing wardrobe etc. "We can tell your friends not to bring you any birthday presents...
I have not read these books, but I always find myself having to justify my son's behaviour. No, he will not sit still at school, please let him kneel on the chair, slouch over the desk, get up 15 times to sharpen his pencil. It will be less disrupting than calling him to order every other minute. And his schoolwork is above par if you let him be. He will be running through the supermarket aisles, but productively, he fetches things for me . He talks all the time, so fast...
We do have over a years living expenses saved up. We could afford to cover several types of emergencies in an either/or mode eg. a new car, or major dental work, or a major house repair. We are a 2 income household, so that makes us safer... In this country its pretty hard to loose your job unless your employer actually goes bust. There are many safety nets for keeping people in employment. But if you do end up jobless, unemployment benefits are thin and shortlived and it...
Our situation is that we have a mortgage which fits our budget and no other forms of debt. We live within our means. This being Italy we have universal healthcare, relatively cheap higher education, mandatory pension contributions detracted at source so the typical main categories of saving funds do not really apply to us. So once all this is taken care of, what is a reasonable percent of income to put aside as a "rainy day" fund? Averaging it out we are able to save 8-9%...
1000 sq ft is a regular family appartment here! For diapering, you might try something like this wall mounted foldable one, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70143208 :
But what happens if you accidentally break one? would the mercury vapours released be sufficient quantity to become an even temporary health hazard?
1. mop the floors - whole house - once a week. Kitchen / bathrooms usually twice. 2. scrub bathroom fixtures - thoroughly, with cleaner, once a week. Quick swipe with water only about every other day. 3. clean the windows- living room & kitchen french windows once a month-ish, or after rain. Others only after rain. 4. sweep the porch/patio/garage Front veranda - we eat there in summer so about every other day in this season. Otherwise about once a month. Back balcony...
Cooking varied, maybe elaborate, meals. I love to cook. I used to be able to prepare a 30 day menu with pratcially no repetitions. Now when I can rotate 6 days without repeating, thats a success. Gym. I have no-one to watch DS, and no, excercising at home doesn't work for me. Gardening. Actually we got the garden after we got DS, but still I expected/wanted to be able to do much more with it. @nina yyc. Yeah, bye-bye career. No time for that.
Glad this thread came up, its giving me some comfort! If you visualise a square, my son's school is located diagonally across from our house. I go pick him when school is out because they will not let the children leave unattended, but recently we are in the habit that he will walk home via two sides of the square and I will walk the other two so we meet at home - under 10 minutes. There are no roads to cross, neighbourhood is quiet and low traffic but not lonely, at that...
We just grew apart. My best and closest friends friends from my twenties & thirties are mostly still single or childless, though we are now all on the far side of 40. DS's early years I still got invited, and turned down a lot of those. So they stopped coming. I've superficially befriended some other moms, but the connection, the intimacy isn't there, these are relationships based on convenience and proximity rather than on any deeper empathy. The old friends are turning...