or Connect

Posts by beckington

Holy, epic post - sorry!!!   I'm a big fan of PBH - and of Lori's! I think it is pretty unschooling friendly, though there are elements of it that sometimes alert my unschooling radar, heh. :) But with all things, you take what works and leave the rest, right? Anyhow, def don't want to debate that aspect, whoops. Moving on... I am thinking of doing Lori's masterclass - even though I have the book and have bugged her heaps for advice via email and the forums (and have...
Oh and I thought this blog post on screen time was pretty interesting:   http://www.project-based-homeschooling.com/camp-creek-blog/sliver-or-how-stop-fighting-about-screen-time   Shutting up now... :)
Oh, just thought of a funny story from the other day...   I was out with the kids and a friend of my oldest. My kids were off playing and friend and I were having a snack, and I asked him what was his favourite thing to do at home - I was looking for new ideas for my son since I was having a moment panic that he's been a bit bored at home lately and this friend always seems to be a kid with lots of cool interests. His answer? Computer games. I chuckled, because I...
We don't formally limit it, as in have rules about x number of hours per day or after a certain time only. Instead we talk about making sure any one thing in our lives doesn't fill up so much of our time we don't have time for other interests and our responsibilities. And we try to keep our lives interesting enough that there's lots of other stuff going on that screen time is naturally limited. But we have a lot of hours in the day and though we are out a lot, it still...
We are in a massive decluttering/organizing mood here at the moment! It doesn't happen often, heh, so gotta take advantage of it when it does. :)   I'm curious how you all organize kid-related stuff in your house... do your kids have specific play or art or learning spaces? My oldest, 9, doesn't really play with toys but is really into reading and cartooning so right now he has space for that. I would like to encourage a bit of interest in science and math, make it...
Thanks everyone! I'll get the non-connecting ones, and wood if I can! :)
Title kind of says it all. I'm going to buy some cuisenaire rods and wondering if I should get the type that connects or not. What are the pros and cons?   Thanks!
Oh, and we don't own a car so aren't out in Waverly very much (though I have a sister in Fall River), but if you are ever in the city and want to get together just let me know! :)
Hi and welcome to Halifax/Waverly! I live in west end Halifax and have two boys - almost 9 and almost 2. Are you on Facebook? There's a few FB groups for Halifax or NS homeschoolers. Not unschooling specific, but unschoolers on there and useful for finding out what's going on. Let me know if you'd like to know more! :)  
I don't think it's the game's fault since it's happened at some point (or rather, many points) with every wii game he's played so far! ;) At the moment he's playing Kirby's Return to Dreamland.   He didn't play the wii after dinner tonight and it was so lovely! We had a real nice time together as a family. My dh will often play the wii with him in the evenings and they do have fun together doing that. It just frustrates me when it's every night as I'd like us to do...