or Connect

Posts by beckington

Ugh.   My 8yo LOVES the wii. We got it for Christmas. We've never really imposed limits on screen time and have definitely gone through times when screen exposure was really, really high, but eventually they'd balance out with hardly any, and he was learning to manage his time on the screens quite well and doing a variety of things (very little TV, mostly old-school computer games, blogging, YouTube videos, etc). But then we got a wii for Christmas. (It was even my...
I'll play! :)   DS1 is 8, DS2 is 20-months-old. So yesterday...   The three of us slept in a bit until almost 8. I try to get up by 7:30 to have some time doing my own thing before dh leaves for work at 8. So it kindof felt like we were starting behind, you know? Quick breakfasts, showers, nursing toddler, etc and then off to the library to pick out books and meet friends. We had lunch with them and then headed to our local science centre where there was a...
Hah, hi Lori! I'm already over at your site - just going there now to follow up on some of my posts there. See you there! :)  
rightkindofme - you are cracking me up! :) In a good way, honestly. ;)     Just wanted to clarify - I didn't say I want him to believe he is wonderful no matter what he does - I said "no matter what he does or does not know he is wonderful, loved and worthy" - 'what he does or does not know' - I meant I don't care if he knows a zillion things or knows nothing - his wonderfulness is not dependent on how much he knows. I hope that makes more sense - I think you may have...
Thanks everyone! I definitely think we need to liven up things around here a bit. I'd already been planning to create a schedule of sorts for the fall (which is so NOT me, though I do love my to-do lists! ;) ) because I find that we spend our days following the toddler's lead and things for my 8yo fall aside. That's stuff in the house, I should clarify. We are always out and about with his friends and doing 'field trips' etc for him. It's the at-home part we struggle...
Hi all. My oldest son is 8 and is unschooled. He brought up the idea of school yesterday (it comes up every now and then) but said he'd only want to go to an easy school because he doesn't know anything. Setting the school issue aside for a moment...   I've tried pointing out the stuff he does know, talked about how there's a big variation in how much/what kids know - public schooled, homeschool, unschooled or whatever, that he could learn about whatever he wants to,...
Thanks! I do the same so far, saying yes to him when he means yes, but it doesn't seem to be helping much - guess I just need to be patient! :) He does something similar with animals - all animals are 'baa' and say 'oof' - but it's not frustrating for either of us in those cases! I'll try to be more patient, heh.   Cheers!  
So my ds2 is 20-months-old and is a late talker - he has about 5-6 words or sounds for specific things so far. (His brother had just one word at this age and a language explosion when he was 2 so I'm not particularly worried about it.) Of course, one of those words is 'no'! :) But he uses it for yes and no, which is really confusing!! Any suggestions on how to help him embrace the word 'yes'?!   THanks!
Sigh. Right there with you. My ds2 is 20 months and has been doing the screaming thing off and on for the past few months but over the last month it's become more extreme.   It is driving me nuts. Nuts!   He is also a late talker, like my oldest was - though I don't remember the screaming with him.   I've been trying to focus on the screaming when he wants (or doesn't want) something. So if he screams for something, I (try to) say calmly "Would you like the...
Thanks everyone! Looks like most kiddos do sleep in the afternoon, though it's nice to see my kid isn't the only morning napper around! Funnily enough, it's after 1pm here as I type and he hasn't napped yet today - and has been in a great mood all morning (which is bizarre for him!). His naps yesterday were off too - two short naps, one early, one late, then a late bedtime. It'll be interesting to see what he ends up doing today - I wish he'd go to sleep because I was...