or Connect

Posts by beckington

No, no, it's fine to point things out, thanks! :) But I'm happy with my decision because of my son - he's really, really not gaining well and getting the scope done would take months which is not in his best interest. His weight gain issues may not be because of gluten, but I need to try. From what I understand I just need a doctor to confirm I have celiac for the tax write-off (Canada) and the doctor is making that diagnosis. I mean if I had a positive DH test (and I...
Well, I'm just back from my GP and my blood test was positive for celiac. She said a false positive is unlikely, given that the test is pretty accurate, I've had "IBS" for years, and a rash the derm immediately thought was DH. My test result was over 100 and over 12 was positive, I think it was - sorry don't have all the details, crying baby was with me! She also thinks my son's slow weight gain is related and so neither of us want to wait months for a scope - I'm going...
  Because by the time I got the appointment, most of the rash had cleared up so we aren't sure we got a good sample to biopsy. So the biopsy could be negative, even if it is DH. I know you can get a lot of false negatives with the blood test though! Aarrrgh, so annoying! Now the DH seems to be coming back!   There was no other things in common with the hives, unless I consider things from many hours before, but it really seemed to be reacted to the food immediately...
I'm waiting for my results from a blood test for celiac and a skin biopsy for dermatitis herpetiformis (celiac rash). My main new symptoms that prompted these tests were blisters/rash on my face, neck, and elbows, but this has mostly cleared up now - just a few left. It was mostly constant for about two months. The dermatologist immediately thought of dermatitis herpetiformis. I've had digestive issues for years - diagnosed with IBS about 10 years ago. Yesterday I...
I'm looking to increase the amount of healthy fats in my son's diet (he's 7), as well as my own. We are both vegan. I'm breastfeeding my 4-month-old at the moment so while I do eat a fair amount of good fat already I figure more can't hurt! My 7yo though can be a picky eater and doesn't eat a lot of fat. He will eat peanut butter and other nut butters, sometimes nuts, and I add olive oil liberally to our meals. He won't eat avocado and doesn't like coconut, though hidden...
Hi! Wondering how soon after your 3-6 month old baby wakes up from night sleep do they take their morning or first nap of the day?   I'm going to try a poll! Wish me luck...
I've always heard that if a baby is well rested, with good naps during the day (but not *too* well rested!), then they are more likely to sleep longer stretches at night. Sleeps begets sleep and all that. Anyhow, I was just reading Dr Sears Baby Book and in it he says in his experience babies who catnap often save their long stretch of sleep for night. Now that I think of it, this was true of my first son, for the first year of his life anyhow - after that it was a...
Wow, I didn't know it could be as little as two hours! That surprises me, but good to know. Thanks everyone!
I'm trying to figure out if my 15 week old is allergic to something. He is exclusively breastfed. How long does it take for something I eat to get through to breast milk to affect him?   Also, can I bright red bum be a sign of an allergy? I know about the red ring, but this is on his bum cheeks and up in his thigh creases. (He also has the ring, but that's always there.)   THanks!    
Thanks! I figure for the mucus in poop symptom I'll have to wait 4 days plus a poop before adding in another food - ds doesn't have a bowel movement every day, so there might be an extra day or two to wait, I think. To be safe. I don't want to go through this and not have clear results!