or Connect

Posts by beckington

Oh I agree the why matters - I just didn't know why! Though I could have given the explanation you did but I guess I still don't understand that as 'why'. It just makes sense. Comparing like with like and all that. So is that really all there is to it? Maybe this math stuff is easier than I thought! ;)
  I am looking at Miquon for my son - it looks good. I am also wary of introducing a curriculum but he seems to be looking for something like that (and of course it would not ever be required of him, but I might do some gentle persuasion). We are actually having a little meeting/date today to discuss it along with his 'learning goals' for the next little while (which will probably include 'learn how to play Mario Brothers better'!).   As for your question about the...
My dh pointed out to me that in higher level maths they don't use the division symbol (the one with the dot above and below the line) at all. It's a slash or the fraction bar.
  Ah, but no - it's 1 pie divided by 2, not by 1/2. You divide the pie *in* half, but you divide *by* 2 to do that. Just like if you have 10 pies and you want to find out what 1/2 is, you divide by 2 to get that. Does that make sense? I'm getting confused, lol!   ETA: Dividing the pie in half is dividing the pie into two pieces, which is where the dividing by 2 comes from.   OK shutting up now because my brain hurts!
I came across a list of links to unschooling blogs and thought I'd pass it along in case there are others out there like me that love to get lost in other people's lives! :) There are 74 listed!!   http://anunschoolinglife.com/unschooling-blogs-websites/
Aaaaarrgh, having trouble quoting, for some reason!   Anyhow, thanks Miranda, for the good advice. We do get those moments where dh and I look at each other and think 'how on earth does he know that?!' but they never do seem to come at times of panic for me! Very inconvenient, heh. :)   SweetSilver, I know what you mean by sometimes getting the wrong impression of where their learning is at. There's been times when I've been sure he knows something but then...
Ah, OK, Miranda, that all makes sense to me! I guess then the question goes back to wondering how you know if your child has this type of understanding. This is one aspect of unschooling in general I find difficult for us - the lack of assessment. Not that I want ds to go through testing - I think that would be stressful and unhelpful for him at this point - but it would help my stress levels to know where we stand a bit. I know we are supposed to be all 'trusting the...
But can this not be taught or learnt? Does it have to be natural? FWIW, I think my ds does have good number sense - he just seems to get place value without us ever discussing it, for example, and was having fun with square numbers at a young age (and this led to my amazement that square numbers actually mean you can make a square out of a square number of blocks! duh-uh! never ever realized that in all my years until my 5yo showed me!).   And what is the answer to...
I'm struggling with this. I did well in math at school but never really understood it or liked it. My husband, on the other hand, did his PhD in maths and sees math as beautiful and elegant and fun. When people say things about kids having a conceptual understanding of math and not memorizing, I really (sounding stupid here!) don't know what they mean! Can't you have both? I'm trying to find the words here... ah struggling... someone mentioned earlier the difference...
I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest. My son is only 7 (almost 8) and we unschool in a very relaxed fashion, but lately it seems like he is looking for something 'more', at a bit of a loose end, and the question of introducing academics in a formal way has come up. He's not specifically asking for that (though he did pull out an old Singapore math workbook we have on Christmas Eve to work on) so I don't know that academics are the answer - I just know I've...