or Connect

Posts by beckington

Just wanted to let you all know how things have been going this past week since we had some great insights from you all! We decided to let ds throw stuff. There's nothing in our house that would break with one throw (except dishes, but he never ever throws those!), so we decided to grit our teeth a bit. The throwing really pushes our buttons, so this was hard! So no automatic 'x isn't for throwing, throw this instead', or 'do this with x instead'. We just let him do it -...
I'm reading UP as well - it's really clarifying things for me, like you said. We are having issues with my 2.5yo with hitting, pushing, throwing things etc. For ages! For the throwing in particular, I posted on the Toddlers forum about what level/type of throwing/being rough with toys is OK in your house - to get some perspective from other people because I felt I was probably oversensitive to ds's throwing and reacting to 'innocent' throwing that other people wouldn't...
Not saying this is you, but is there any chance you could be anemic? I didn't think I was but apparently I am very anemic - just found out when I got bloodwork for something else done. It explains a lot of my mood the past few months - tiredness, crappiness, dizziness, headaches, being very moody, feeling depressed at times - so often just wanting to do nothing. Anyhow, since I found out I've been eating better, making sure I get lots of sleep and taking iron supplements...
Well my dh vacuumed today, so I'm a happy camper! We've had a good day, I think. Fairly lazy weekend. Thinking about what we are going to do tomorrow - pondering having a day out and going downtown to wander the waterfront and go to the Discovery Centre, but that's feeling far too ambitious for my lazy mood! Plus we'd have to take the elephants - sure they're imaginary, but there is still eight of them!
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move BTW, how do you see routine and rhythm as different? Good question! Hmmmmmmmmm. Not sure! I guess I see routine as a bit more structured and artificial than a rhythm, and that a rhythm is something that comes more naturally - you find your groove of what works for you best at best times of day etc. But I could well be overthinking it - I'm accused of that a lot!!
Quote: Originally Posted by mamabike The Shambhala Preschool is on for this year... I was just coming here to post this! Good thinking Leigh Anne! I'm so excited it's returning this year - we really enjoyed it! Can't wait! (How sad is it to be this excited about a playgroup? )
Quote: Originally Posted by hunnybumm As far as I am concerned kids are going to kick, throw, bang toys. It's what they do. If it is something that is likely to break I would tell him to either stop throwing/banging/kicking or the said object will be put up. When we've tried that he just turns around and finds something else to throw! Over and over again. It's gotten a little silly in our house, so we stopped doing that. Was more of a game to...
Quote: Originally Posted by hakeber What is SuperNanny? It's a reality TV show with out-of-control kids and parents where a nanny-knows-best nanny comes in and fixes everything with a snap of her fingers! Gotta love reality TV! Quote: Originally Posted by hakeber When he really gets Throw-y, just waltzing around clearig surfaces, I usually take it as asign that I have been doing my grown-up thing for too long now and it...
Quote: Originally Posted by Daffodil Depends on what exactly you mean by "a pointless, destructive way." The pointless part wouldn't bother me at all. I mean, if my kid is enjoying it (and why would she be doing it if she weren't enjoying it?), that's enough of a point for me. I was discussing this with my dh, and he said the same thing about the pointless throwing - that it isn't pointless to ds. I get that. I still don't like it!...
Quote: Originally Posted by blessed For now you've got on your hands a 5 yo who thinks shouting, running and throwing inside are no problem, because all mom ever did was grit her teeth, ignore it and go take another Excedrin. To be perfectly honest, that's what I am soooooooo worried about! Will he just grow out of it, is it just a phase, or will he just keep doing it and doing it? When he was 1, or 18 months, say, the way in which he'd throw...