or Connect

Posts by beckington

Thanks for the replies! Maybe we will just let him stay up and hope it doesn't result in a meltdown. It sounds so simple - I just have a tendency to overanalyse things! He's not likely just to fall asleep watching TV, though I think he might eventually fall asleep in dh's arms/lap while dh plays video games!! I was trying to think of how to make tonight work in CL terms but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with CL at all. I'll have to keep reading the other...
Quote: Originally Posted by beckington My need is to go out tonight. His need MIGHT be for me to put him to bed, or it might not be - just depends on what he decides in the moment. OK, just rereading what I wrote - I really really really WANT to go out tonight, but it isn't an actual 'need', I suppose - other than for my sanity?
OK, so I'm spending way too much time here today reading all these lovely posts about consensual living! I'm trying to get my head around the ideas - I know I'm not a consensual parent but think there's certainly some important things I could learn from it. Anyhow, my dilemma. It's kind of strange to post this on the GD forum, since it isn't about discipline, but here I go! I want to go out with a friend tonight who I usually only see every few years. For this visit, I...
I'm right there with you - my ds sounds similar to yours. It's so hard, isn't it? At times I just want to hide under my bed and never come out! There's been a lot of great suggestions so I don't have much to add. For us, I find not reacting too much to the hitting etc works well - I was taking it (and still do - am working on it!) way too personally and getting quite upset, partly because it really hurt - anyhow, this just made it worse because he thought my reaction was...
Hi Someone suggested what sounded similar to a Playful Parenting technique for a problem with my ds I posted about, which I'm going to try. It got me thinking about the book again. I read it when my ds was quite young and loved it but it wasn't really suitable for his age at the time. He is now 29 months old. Do you think that's too young for some of the ideas? I'm thinking about it in relation to newfound pushing/hitting towards me/dh and his playmates. The suggestion...
Thanks! The roaring like a lion idea is a great idea - he loves to do that anyhow, so I'll try to work that in. The kicking with nappy changing usually occurs towards the end and he's usually happy to get his nappy changed - comes to me to tell me it's dirty. But maybe I'm taking too long and that's why he starts kicking - I'll try to go faster! As for sleep, well he got another good night sleep last night though I can tell he is still tired, but hopefully we are getting...
Thanks Becky and Em for the replies! We have oftened tried to honour the impulse - just sometimes in the middle of things I get so frustrated I forget or can't think of what would be appropriate! The stick thing is fairly straightforward, but in the example I gave of the nappy change, I can't very well give him a ball to kick at that moment - do you think telling him we'll go kick a ball when done the nappy change, get it done as quickly as possible with a kicking...
Thanks - I'll go back to the basics! He is definitely overtired - we'll working on that - and I know it's making it worse for him. Life is so much easier with a well-rested toddler! Cheers
OK, my ds is almost 29 months old. We've had phases on hitting etc in the past where we've done the 'gentle hands' 'cuddles instead' etc and eventually the phase has past, for whatever reason (remains a mystery to me!). Generally not giving much of a reaction is our best bet. The last few days though have been horrible! Yesterday he tried to poke dh in the eye with a wooden stick (for drums etc) after dh didn't want it in his mouth. When I'm changing his nappy he'll try...
Man, I am such a slacker compared to you guys! I'm having one of those days I wish I could erase from memory - I just feel blah and sorry for myself today and haven't felt like doing much of anything! I was going to come on here this morning to vent about my dh but couldn't get up the energy to type - how sad is that?! Anyhow, so today I: - had a temper tantrum to start the day since my dh was being a useless jerk! (love him really!) - made breakfast, did the dishes...