or Connect

Posts by beckington

My ds didn't say a word at 18 months, and now at 27 months he won't shut up!! He said his first word ("all gone!") at 19 months, picked up a word or two every week or so for a while, and then a bit before he turned 2 he just went crazy with words. Yesterday he said 'I don't know where ro-ro (his word for dog) is' - that's his first full sentence, but he's been talking in 2-4 word phrases for a couple of months now. At 18 months he went for a speech evaluation but we...
Quote: Originally Posted by wednesday Oh, I like that idea! Me too - will also try it!
Hi Wednesday - I wish I had some suggestions for you but we are having a similar problem! My ds (about the same age as your guy) also pets the cats gently (we worked on that ages ago!) but has recently discovered chasing the cats. He thinks it's a great game. I suspect the cats disagree. Poor kitties! I can't go and pick them up to protect them because that'll be just like me chasing them. I usually say to him that the cats don't like to be chased like he does (there's the...
Oh that so sucks - I'm sorry you're having to go through that. Hopefully your mom will smarten up and realise she's being childish! And I really think she is being childish, making this all about her. I had a similar problem with my MIL when ds was 11 months old - she offered to babysit while dh and I went out for dinner for his birthday, which we really appreciated - she had babysat ds once before and that was the only time ANYONE other then myself or dh had taken care...
Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm feeling highly motivated now to get my helper into action! I'll check out some Waldorf sites for more inspiration - if anyone has any suggestions, that'd be great! I really like the idea of a little duster and water spray bottle for ds - I think he'll go crazy with it!
Hi everyone (apologies that this is such a ramble: the basic question is in the subject heading!!!) So this is where I'm coming from. I'm not really very good at playing with ds and his toys around the house - I get bored (I enjoy some things, of course - just can't do it ALWAYS). We usually spend a lot of time out of the house, at playdates, museums, parks, shopping etc - he has a great time and so do I. But then nothing gets done around the house. Now I don't have high...
Quote: Originally Posted by donosmommy04 Oh, and when I say my schpiel about "next time I'd appreciate...." I make sure that I'm down on his eye level, and take a moment to separate it from the activity, so it's not just blended in with what is going on, like make a point to have it be an interaction about the future request, know what I mean? Thanks - I'm going to give it a try! My challenge will be doing it in a way that doesn't sound like...
Quote: Originally Posted by donosmommy04 Right now, we're working on the occasional "bossy" tone from DS. For instance, when he shouts at me, "GET OVER HERE!" I'll get down next to him and say things like, "people usually are happy to do something when you ask politely....you could say, "please come here" and I'd be happy to go with you".... OR, just yesterday, we had another instance (recurring theme for us) of his shouting "LET GO!!!!!" when we were...
Quote: Originally Posted by OMama Also, would anyone apologize to the other hurt child for the actions of your child? I have read that trying to get them to apologize is not necessarily helpful since a child who is hurting others is often hurting herself and this can make it even worse since it feels like humiliation. I also want her to learn to apologize when she is really sorry and not just because others are telling her to. Thoughts on that? If I...
What a great thread! We've been thinking of doing up the spare room for 2 year-old ds (who sleeps with us now and prob will for some time!) and the ideas here are great! A question about the blackboard paint though - can you just paint over it with normal paint when you don't want it anymore? Charmaine