or Connect

Posts by beckington

Thanks for the response! Ds2 was up at least a dozen times last night so tonight we are going to try dh putting him to bed and see if that makes any difference. I doubt it will, especially since I think he may be teething, but it's worth a shot! I'm not trying to nightwean him yet - he's only (not even) a year - so if he won't go to sleep with dh I'll nurse him and when he wakes up I'll nurse him back to sleep like normal. Just wondering if we can squeeze a few hours of...
Ds2 (one year old next week) nurses to sleep for most naptimes/bedtimes. My husband can get him to sleep usually by walking around with him, but it's generally easier and faster for me to nurse him. Last night ds2 wouldn't nurse to sleep. I was so tired I just dozed while he crawled around on the bed. Once in awhile he would lay down for a few seconds, before getting up again. Babbling the whole time. (It was quite cute!) Finally after about 30 minutes he went to sleep -...
The biggest thing my 7yo is doing right now is making toys for his toy shop. Most of these are toys he makes out of junk - recyclables, random craft supplies, that type of thing. He is also sewing a few things.   He's also spending a lot of time on a new obsession: Moshi Monsters. He plays it online, chats on the phone to friends about it, draws pictures about it, and when he has friends over, they 'play it' outside. He just bought a book about it today from his...
Thanks for all the suggestions! I have tried getting him to feed himself, loading the spoon for him and all that, but he's not interested. Tricky! Will keep at it though...   Thanks again!
  Not with all public schools. I know plenty of people who take their kids out of school for family vacations or just random days to play hookie. I also know people who do homeschool part-time and send their kids to school part-time. It just depends on the school.   OP - I try to remember that no decision needs to be forever, so if you think one child would thrive homeschooling and the other would thrive goigpoing to school, why not try it and see how it goes? Personally...
Miranda, thank you so much for your detailed response! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond myself! I've borrowed the Miquon Lab Notes from a friend and already have an old Singapore 1a so I've been trying to compare the two, taking into account what you said. I'm still not sure which to do, if either. I like the discovery aspect of Miquon. I really want him to understand math, not just be able to pass tests, which is how I went through math as a kid.   I also...
Could someone please explain to me the difference between Singapore and Miquon math and why you would choose one over the other? I'm a non-math person, so break it down for me, people! :) This is for a 7yo unschooled boy with no real formal math experience who is showing an interest in 'doing math'. He has shown some natural aptitude for maths (which he gets from his dad, not me!) but gets frustrated easily. Thanks!
GF pasta and tofu are great ideas, thanks! And good point about the skins on beans - yeah, that's a bit tricky. Hmmm...
So my 10-month-old has decided he doesn't want to be spoon-fed any longer. (Well, except for his yucky rice cereal that he loves.) I went the more BLW approach with my oldest, but we've struggled with weight gain big time with this baby and tried spoon-fed solids to help increase his weight (which it did). He is still very small though and we really want to keep the weight gain going, so this refusal to be spoon-fed is frustrating. BLW does not lead to a lot of food...
Can you use the monkey pocket in a back carry? They look great!