or Connect

Posts by beckington

Quote: Originally Posted by awnja You asked about volunteering... Thanks awnja! Charmaine
Wow, thanks everyone! You've all given me a lot to think about. I think the mother's helper is a great idea - even if it doesn't end up solving the problem, it's certainly worth a try. I did try and find one a few months ago but had no luck. They just don't seem to be as common here as in North America. But today I put up an ad at a local organic shop where I've seen an ad for a mother's helper before, so hopefully something will come from that. So. Plan of attack. Try...
Quote: Originally Posted by awnja I'll just tell you what to do but then you just ignore anything you don't like, OK? :LOL OK, I can do that! I don't think we will save any money by me not working. I don't work out of the home, so I don't eat out now (and hubby refuses to take packed lunches anyhow), don't have nice clothes (!), don't have a car so gas not an issue but don't commute on train/tube anyhow since have home office, make a lot of...
Hey My son Alex is 17 months old. I work part-time from home as a freelance editor/writer. I went back to work when he was about 4 months old because I was going insane not working - I was totally shocked I felt this way, but there you go. Some weeks I don't have any work, though I am still marketing, doing admin etc. Other weeks I am working evenings, weekends, naps etc. I take care of Alex myself on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. My husband doesn't work on Wed (we arranged...
Great, thanks - I'll get on it then! Glad to hear it's worked well for others. I'm sure Alex will love looking at the photos! Charmaine
Hi We are going to visit my family in Canada in the fall and I was thinking of making up a little photo album of family photos for Alex (17 months) so that when we arrive the faces look familar to him - is that a stupid idea? The last time he saw them was last fall so obviously doesn't remember. He can be shy at times - takes time to warm up and goes at his own pace - and I thought maybe the photos might help with this, though wonder if he is too young to make the...
Oooooooooooh thanks Piglet68 and allgirls - those are great responses! Definitely will be using those! Cheers Charmaine
Thanks for the comments. I guess what really makes me feel uncomfortable with these situations is the way the parents handle it - I can understand them not wanting their kids to think it's OK to take a toy from someone, I can understand them wanting their kid to give it back, though personally I really hate 'making' someone apologise - but these things I can understand. The problem is how they are going about it - it's yelling, it's physical, it's just, well, mean. Not GD,...
Hi (delurking again...) Just wondering how you handle interaction with other kids at playgroups. The main problem I'm having comes when a child takes something away from Alex (16 months) and the mum intervenes and disciplines her child, makes child give it back and apologise. I really don't know what to do in that situation. Usually Alex doesn't care that the toy has been taken and is easily distracted from it, so from my point of view it isn't really a problem,...
Yup, my one-year old is still drooling like crazy! Oh, I dream of the day when he'll only need to wear one shirt a day!! Charmaine