or Connect

Posts by hibiscus mum

I'm sort of embarrassed to be posting about this in this community but I'd love to get some perspective from others in the same boat.  Let me start off by saying that my husband is a fantastic guy, an incredible father and partner, and we have a great partnership.   Our situation is a bit unusual since he's the stay-at-home parent and I work full-time (though this seems to be becoming less unusual).  I'm also in Canada so I've had year-long maternity leave with all...
Hi mamas! I'm on holidays for two weeks and we rented a cottage for a week. I am so excited to relax and float around in the lake. My kids can't stop talking about it which just adds to the anticipation! As for taking time out for myself, I'm embarrassed to admit that I had grand plans to be super fit and healthy this pregnancy, do yoga, etc. I get up for work at 5:15 in the morning and get home at around 4 and by that time, I just don't even want to leave the house...
I bought a Moby Wrap and a breastfeeding pillow on the weekend. I had a nursing pillow but got rid of it because my son was a puker and so it was majorly stained. I got a My Breast Friend one this time around with a cool pattern. I paid too much for it but I know I'll use it a lot. I've never had a Moby before but always wanted one. I didn't like using my hotsling during the newborn stage but I think the Moby will be perfect.
It made me feel very drowsy but it was better than the constant nausea feeling. I took it during my first pregnancy and the current one as well. I stopped taking it at around 13 weeks when the nausea disappeared.
I was just talking to my husband about this the other day. The big thing that my dad was really bad for was body shaming. Like I would get a new outfit and show it to my parents and he'd say something like, "Well you'd better hope you don't gain any weight!". Ugh. And I was a very fit teenager, dressed very preppy, and he'd be making this sort of comment over a button-up collared shirt! I still haven't forgiven him for the time I was involved in a fitness demonstration...
Phew! My iPad auto-corrected sinhole to sinkhole. Glad I caught that one. And SweetSilver - your song is awesome. I'd buy it off iTunes if you record it. . Can you write another one about pooping in the toilet/potty. My son's got peeing down but I'm tired of cleaning poopy underwear. Perhaps I'll just pick out a tune to go along with the book Everyone Poops.
Well, in this house we say "sinhole" for DD. Mine is "gaping sinhole" since, ya know, I've had two kids. All kidding aside, I sort of get how vulva seems odd when everyone growing up just called it a vagina. But we all say vulva in this house and it's just another word now, nothing ugly or harsh about it. I think those that are bothered with the word will get used to it if they give it a try. Sort of like when your SIL names her baby something stupid that doesn't...
Aurora - I love the name Beatrix too! I wanted to name DD Beatrix but my hubby said no way and most people made a stank-face when I mentioned the name. I think it's a great name!
I can so relate, uncertain! My son recently turned 3 and he just will not go to bed at night. I'm taking some of the advice here to just let go. I read the thread earlier this evening so I told my son at bedtime that he could play with his cars or look at books and lie down when he feels tired. I'm pregnant and kind of cranky in the evenings and feel like I just want some time alone. With him constantly getting out of bed I was becoming not the nicest mom. The...
Love the name, but it sounds weird with our last name because of the Sh sound. It's definitely in the realm of what I'm looking for.The name that's really sticking with me right now is Helen. I know it's quite old-fashioned, but I was thinking we could call her Lena for short (my Baby Name Wizard book lists Lena as a nickname for Helen - does this sound out to lunch?). Ellie's another nickname for Helen, but our dog's name is Ella so that might be a bit weird.I just...