or Connect

Posts by VocalMinority

I, too, am nearly certain this is true.  He would have to file a paternity suit, to establish parental rights.
You must double-check, to be sure - because I am not a lawyer - but I believe that the federal Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act has a clause directing that the state where the child resides should have jurisdiction.  I also believe that states vary, regarding how long it takes to establish legal residency and switch jurisdiction.  But surely two years is ample, in any state!    If there's an open appeal of a NY ruling, that would (could?) keep...
I have never been involved with family court in KY, only IN.  Here, I'd avise that if you're not currently represented by an atty, that you file a pro se petition - either for the court's permission to get a passport for your child since your ex won't respond about it; or to get sole legal custody because his failure to exercise his legal rights is impeding you from getting a passport (and more importantly, it could cause dire problems if your child needed a major medical...
To be very clear, you may only get a passport for your child without the consent/participation of the other parent, if you have sole legal and physical custody - i.e., the other parent has NO parental rights. It's a fine line: - Mom could have sole custody - Dad could have "no parental rights" - even though he has visitation rights.  For example, grandparents might get orders for visitation, without having parental rights (like being able to seek medical care for the...
All of my kids went to co-op preschools, where parents (usually moms) run the school and take turns "co-oping" (being the teacher's assistant) in their child's class.  My step-son (now a HS freshman) also went to a co-op kindergarten and my youngest is in one, now.   A big annual event at co-op schools is Special Person Day, where the parent who doesn't "co-op" attends a special Saturday class with the child, to see what a typical school day is like.  The kids prepare...
   I don't necessarily condone staying in a verbally/emotionally abusive relationship with a man who's contributing nothing positive, even financially - if that is indeed the OP's situation and not just an exaggerated vent, on a day she was feeling especially negative and hopeless (she had given birth, just 3 months before posting).  But Escaping's point is still well-taken:  before leaving her husband, a mother should consider what her children's circumstances will be,...
My first three children have June birthdays, which has always made for convenient 6-month installments of gifts at birthdays and Christmas.  I really prefer that, because: * It helps kids tolerate delayed gratification; * It helps stave off impulse wishes (that thing they saw in an advertisement or at a friend's house, which is their heart's desire for a month - so you plan to buy it for Christmas - then they lose interest in it before Thanksgiving, so you wind up glad...
Why not?  I don't hear a reason not to.
Since at least my teens, I have been intensely bothered by various normal chewing/swallowing noises (in very quiet circumstances, even the sound of myself eating); and the sound of thin plastic packaging being handled, especially slowly.  A quick wadding up of an empty pretzel bag before tossing it in the recycling, I can handle.  But if, say, a person leaves a plastic wrapper on their granola bar and slowly moves it down as they eat, I may need to leave the room.  The...
No time to read all the other responses, but it sounds like the original poster is unclear about her (or her friend's) most basic rights and responsibilities, so I'll be very specific:   An adult US citizen who is not in criminal trouble (like on probation) has a federal right (i.e., this is true regardless what state you live in) to move anywhere he/she wants - whenever he/she wants - at least within the US.   But you don't necessarily have the right to take...