or Connect

Posts by VocalMinority

DH and I have a 5-year-old son.     I also have 18-y-o twin sons, from a previous relationship.  Their dad lives nearby and is involved.  My 5-y-o has spent time with him and clearly understands that "Ex" is the twins' father, not DH.   DH also has a 14-y-o son, from a previous marriage, who lives with us.  I don't think our 5-y-o has ever met the 14-y-o's mother, but he's acutely aware that his brother flies away to visit her, 3 times/year.  He forgets sometimes that...
Islands
So sorry that I didn't see your post earlier.  My twin sons (now 18) were born at 24 weeks.  Statistically, micro-premie girls fare better than boys; white babies better than blacks (sadly and mysteriously, from what I witnessed in the NICU, that's not solely a socio-economic thing); and single-births fare better than multiples (presumably due to birth weight).  From your post and photo, I assume your micro-premie has the best possible scenario:  a white, female single...
Mine is 5-1/2 and still co-sleeping.     It's somewhat circumstantial:  I lived in a 3-bedroom house with 2 kids.  Then - all in one year - I got married, my husband got custody of his son from before and we had a baby.  Squoosh!  My kids (the oldest 2) shared a room and when the youngest was ~3, we put a bed for him in my step-son's room.  However, the baby's schedule did not jive in any way with that of his brother (then in 6th grade).  We're building an addition for...
A valid question.  I was in my early twenties.  It was an unplanned pregnancy.  The twins are now 18, and in those (nearly) two decades, there has been a major change in awareness of Autism.  For example, in kindergarten the twins' special ed teacher of record had to come up with a semi-bogus reason to justify their services, because Autism was not yet an accepted one.  Ten years later, that was almost unthinkable. Their dad and his grandfather are both very...
There is no question in my mind that my twin sons' Autism is genetic.  Their father, his grandfather and a male first cousin on his mother's side all are/were on the Autism spectrum.     It would be easy for me to say something in their early childhood caused it, because I resisted believing they were Autistic for quite some time.  But it was always there.   That said, I avoid Tylenol.  I avoid most drugs, unless they're really necessary.  And if it's just a pain...
I, too, appreciated having someone around to set a good example for others.   The Christmas that my youngest was 10 mos. old, my entire (big) family was at my house in the evening, gathered in the living room after dinner.  An old high school friend who now lives out in LA stopped by.  Just as he sat down, the baby wanted to nurse.  My mother was beside herself, insisting I go hide in the bedroom.  (OMG!  An old friend... who's seen me in a bikini... might see part of my...
I Know a Place, by Karen Ackerman (might be out of print, but you can get it in hardback for pennies, on Amazon)   The Whale's Song, by Dyan Sheldon   Any of the Big Anthony/Strega Nona or Jamie O'Rourke books, by Tomie di Paola...and The Art Teacher...in fact, pretty much anything by him.   I could go on for an hour, but must leave.  I'll think of more.
First, I hope you're doing alright after the break-up.   I have not BTDT, but I'd bring it up to your SD more in the vein of, "I'm planning on taking the picture when you're here to be in it," (and letting her tell you, if she has a strong aversion) and less, "If you want to, you can still be in it" - which, if she's already feeling awkward about the situation, will sound to her like she's having to ask - even though it's really you, inviting her.   I'd do the same...
"Don't swallow with your mouth open."   I never envisioned needing to utter these words.  Who would?  But my oldest has a deviated septum that can't be corrected until he stops growing and it has rendered him a mouth-breather.  Most people have the luxury of never thinking about this, but we all swallow occasionally, even when we're not eating.  God bless him, my son has recently figured out how to swallow without closing his mouth.  Evidently, it feels nice to be able...