or Connect

Posts by VocalMinority

You might have his blood sugar checked, just in case.  There are lots of other things it could be (like jealousy over the new baby, as you said), but one of my preschool students, years ago, was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes and his early symptoms were frequent urination and acting out (due, as it turned out, to blood sugar fluctuations).  JD is scary, but manageable.  After a few months, my student could tell you if his blood sugar was low.  He tested himself at...
My step-son lives with us and his mom's not very involved, either.  I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but my best advice to you is to move out.  Even if the man himself is the perfect match for you, you can't marry a father without also marrying his kids and all the issues surrounding them.  If those issues are already driving you crazy; making you hesitate to properly parent your own daughter (because it doesn't seem fair to give her harsher expectations than her...
Telling another person how they ought to manage their emotions can be pretty useless.  For example, I can appreciate the logic in another person telling me I should keep my house tidy when I'm super-busy or under stress, because having organized surroundings will help me feel like things are under control.  But I'm not going to become a completely different person because I heard some good advice.  When my life gets crazy enough, my surroundings will eventually become...
Yes, I guess it wouldn't make much sense to take up drinking just to model for your kids how to do it responsibly!  (chuckle) Kids pick up on their parents' attitudes about things in a hundred subtle ways.  My 5-year-old has been in the car when I passed another driver, smoking, and muttered to myself, "Seriously!?  With a car full of kids?  You want that crap in their lungs!?"  I talk to him directly about my thoughts on cigarettes, when he asks.  But he already knows...
Hiding your drinking from kids risks teaching them any or all of the following:   A) Drinking should be secret...so when I start drinking, I'll keep it a secret, too... B) My parents think drinking is something to hide...but that doesn't stop them from doing it.  Alcohol must have a powerful hold over them. C) Maybe there's something wrong with my parents and I should worry.  They keep alcohol in the house and, if I wake up at night, sometimes I see them drinking it....
I used to, until our kids got older and my ex and his new wife had younger kids.  My ex's parents and new wife - even her mother - used to come over, to see the kids in their costumes.  They usually wouldn't stay the whole evening, just go to a few houses with the kids.   Halloween is also my birthday.  So, it's a good thing I get along with everyone!  I can imagine it would be pretty annoying, if you don't.  I took a "the more, the merrier" approach and just looked at...
I finished ~1/3 of the "camo" wall my twins requested in their bedroom, in the new addition on our house.  When I agreed to a camo wall, I underestimated how long it would take, to paint it by hand.  I underestimated that a LOT!   My teenage step-son - who's going through a very prickly, rude phase - sought me out, to thank me for the stripes I painted in HIS new bedroom - in his school colors, as requested.  He actually spent a few minutes telling me how much he liked...
So, what do you DO about it?  Or what would you do, if your son were grumpy and rude to you, anyway? Example:  One recent school morning, my 14-y-o had no school uniforms because (as it turned out) he had left them all in his gym locker after football practice, even though I have reminded him often to bring them home and put them in the laundry; I bought him a duffle bag specifically to transport clothes to/from practice; and if I ask, he always says his clothes are in his...
Control and responsibility should go hand-in-hand.     A kid should get to decide when to do his homework at whatever age he consistently completes it, without a parent having to check and remind him what to do.  For one of my teens, that happened his sophomore year of high school.  For the other two, I'm not sure it ever will!   A kid should decide how to spend his own money as soon as he's willing to earn some - and for as long as he spends it in a generally...
At the risk of incurring condescension, I'll admit that I almost never wash my 5-y-o's hair.   He has sensitive skin and hates shampoo and even bubble bath.  IMO, he looks and smells terrific, with daily (or nearly daily) showers or long soaks in a tub filled with nothing but water and toys.   His grooming habits are excellent, for his age.  He prides himself on careful tooth brushing AND flossing.  He washes his hands before he eats, without complaint.  If he's...