or Connect

Posts by VocalMinority

Hi!  I have 4 sons, ranging in age from 18 to 5 - all vaccinated.   I have second thoughts about the chicken pox vaccine.  Everyone was getting it when the 18-y-os (twins) were little, and they were born extremely premature and had fragile health, so I had it given to them.  When they were teens, it was reported that this vaccine isn't necessarily effective past about 10 years and if men, especially, get chicken pox after puberty, there can be much worse effects than if...
How cool!
Our huge, famous local children's museum - a definite tourist attraction for our city - just invested millions, re-vamping its 5-and-under wing.  I visited it for the first time yesterday, with my 5-year-old.  Overall, it was a marvelous renovation, with a significant emphasis on nature:  the decorations, playthings and even sound-effects are all nature-based, as are the two new walls of windows letting in natural light.     In my mind, one thing that would be natural...
My husband and I were both raised with meat as the main dish, every single night.   As an adult, nothing has convinced me that humans aren't meant to consume meat.  But I have concluded that our standard American portions of meat tend to be much too large and that, as consumers, we ought to be more conscious of production practices (to the extent that we can afford to).     Our parents and grandparents seemed to view a meatless dinner as an indication of poverty.  For...
The October that my youngest was 3, I had green nail polish in the bathroom, for a witch costume.  He was quiet.  We found him, having painted stripes of green nail polish - about his eye-level - all around the bathroom walls and door.  Also, stripes of traditional berry-red polish...which made it festive for Christmas, by which time we still had not repainted.
My ex and I were never married, so I've always had people not only incorrectly refer to him as my husband, but incorrectly call me "Mrs. X", when I never had that name.  Now that I'm married and raising my step-son, from my husband's previous marriage, I also have people calling me his mom, when I'm not.   Do you feel like there's a rule book about this, that you neglected to read?  Well, figuratively toss it in the recycling!     You'll develop relationships with...
...As long as you're not considering giving your ex custody because you feel hurt or rejected by your daughter.  Kids state preferences like that for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with what's best for them, or how they really feel.  It can have more to do with defending the parent they perceive to be weaker or sadder; or clinging to the parent they perceive to be more likely to detach from them, emotionally; or the child might choose the parent the child has...
Your feelings are understandable.  But I do think you'd be less upset, if you had older (biological) kids.   #1 - Many good fathers LOVE and are affectionate toward their babies and toddlers, but have an easier time relating to older kids.  This is especially true when the baby/toddler has a mother around, to tend to his/her needs.  Maybe your husband seemed more focused on his older daughters, when they were 2 or 3.  But he was a single parent, then.  He didn't have...
If you request it, the court should *order* a custodial evaluation, whether Mom agrees to it, or not.  If she doesn't show up - or keeps the kid away - it looks really bad for her.  You don't have to prove alienation in order to get a CE.  CE is a good way to establish that alienation is a factor.  Your husband simply has to file a petition with the court summarizing the basic problems with Mom; stating it would be in the child's best interest to give him custody; that he...
Your story is not at all uncommon - which is both horrible and, hopefully, a bit comforting.  When my husband was going through the same thing, people thought he must have done something to deserve it.  So it was nice to eventually find out that lots of people have to deal with parental alienation - even though it'd be nicer if it never happened, at all, to anyone. I'm sorry to sound harsh - and I hope it's not too late - but if your husband takes the easy way out and...