or Connect

Posts by VocalMinority

Summary of recent call from my mother (who lives within walking distance, is retired, in reasonably good health and loves her grandkids):     "So, I've talked with all your siblings in the last day or so.  The whole family - all 16 of us - will be at your house tomorrow for dinner, at a totally different time than you expected.  Wow!  I have so much to do before then!  Sorry, but your 5-year-old can't possibly come over for a while today, so you can do housework...
In case you want extra info., when my step-son lived in San Diego (5 yrs. ago) the public schools offered free 6am to 6pm childcare, generally provided through the Boys & Girls Club, but at the schools.  It was called "6 to 6", but later it was changed it to something like "Extended School Day".  Some schools offered more childcare than others, but there weren't hard-and-fast rules about which school your child had to attend, based on your neighborhood.  So the schools...
I'm up too early and randomly reading this old post, but I'll be pleased if someone ends up addressing my question anyway.  It does deviate from focusing on the Duggars, but I believe we're not supposed to lift quotes from one thread and put them in another, right?   So:  does BF/AP of infants really work this way for everyone, or for most mothers?   With my youngest, I did everything blessedwithboys recommends in the 1st part of her post and none of the things that she...
As our (now-teenage) twin sons got older, my ex wanted to move from EOW and 1 evening/week, to 2 evenings/week, ostensibly so he could be more involved in extracurriculars and helping with homework.  In general, he seems to feel more comfortable/competent/interested in the work of parenting older kids, compared to, say, toddlers.     I hated to spend *less* time with them, while they were already spending less time at home with parents anyway, and getting ever closer...
I should think you'd get an extension.  You can file that on your own.  Just look up a form online.  You may be able to file by fax, too.  Call the court and ask.  Be sure to explain the circumstances, so they know you're out of town and may not be able to get an original copy in their hands, via mail, before the court date.  I know all of that is a pain to do, on vacation, but it's better than getting everything ready to go to court the day after you get home!  The...
I also don't live or know anyone in Pittsburgh.  I just wanted to reassure you that the school issue ought to more-or-less go your way.  Unless he's had a major change in income, the court will likely support continuing the education to which your daughters have been accustomed.  If the school to which your older daughter has been accepted has significantly higher tuition - and you'd like to start her there after your ex begins the expense of an additional child - that...
I think each of the responses you've already received is very good.     If you decide you're still set on having your daughter home that week, declare that it's your vacation time.  If you have court orders, there is a provision somewhere for you to be able to skip regular weekly visitation to take your daughter on vacation.  She's too young for that to be dictated by her school schedule.  So tell your ex you're taking your vacation with her, that week.  You're just...
I think that's pretty normal, as long as they're not doing it all the time.  Kids test out what they think adults do and they know alcohol is something you use, to celebrate special occasions.  Let's say they act drunk or irresponsible - if they haven't seen that in your home, then they've gotten the idea somewhere else.  You might act playfully disapproving, so you're not interrupting their play with a lecture about something they're not actually doing; yet at the same...
Personally, I think it's crazy that children anywhere are *required* to use boosters as late as age 11.  If you think it makes riding in a particular car safer, then certainly follow your parental instincts.  But I know that - despite changing laws and guidelines - keeping our youngest in a booster past kindergarten will be a hard sell with my entire family, since his older brothers (ages 13-17) either weren't required to use them at all, or were out of them (legally)...
To me, the term "child-led weaning" means not turning your kid away when he/she wants to nurse (day or night); but also not doing things to influence your kid to nurse longer, because you aren't ready for them to wean.  Examples of the latter would be:   - Not trying out any bedtime routines for a toddler besides nursing to sleep.  If that winds up being the only thing that works 'til he's 2-1/2...and it doesn't interfere with the needs of other family...