or Connect

Posts by VocalMinority

In 1st grade, I asked if they wanted separate bedrooms or to share a bedroom and have a play room.  They emphatically wanted the latter.  As of 5th grade, they had never asked to change it.  At that point, it became moot because I got married and my step-son moved in with us, so he got the extra bedroom and we built a make-shift play room in the garage.  Now that they're teens, they're complaining that they'd like a bigger room (which is perfectly valid), but don't...
I was only able to nurse my last one, so I'm no expert.  But if you're just looking for consensus, lying on my side was one of the easiest ways to nurse and was never a problem.  Maybe it's just not going to be this baby's "thing".
I understand these feelings, but for a non-custodial parent to travel with his kids during his parenting time is absolutely not kidnapping.  Parental kidnapping (sometimes called "interference with custody") is a criminal offense in which police can, indeed, get involved.  Failure to share information about your plans with the kids - or to allow the kids to communicate with their other parent - is rotten and wrong.  But it is only a violation of civil court orders and can...
You have my sympathies - everyone's sympathies, I'm sure.  But based on my own family's experience, I think you cannot change the phone contact issue...which is not the same as saying you should do nothing.     Wherever you live, there are certainly statutes requiring him to allow reasonable phone contact with the kids, during his parenting time.  But how on earth can anyone enforce that?  He can be found in contempt.  But he won't be jailed over phone contact, so in...
Only two months after giving birth, it is completely understandable that you would wonder what you're doing wrong, or that you would feel rejected and cry, with what you describe.  Whether or not you're depressed, you're still recovering from a massive hormonal event, you're emotional, and even though you want - of course - to discern and meet your baby's needs, you have needs too and one of them is to be physically close to this little life you were carrying around...
1- "Right of 1st refusal" (or whatever it's called where you are) is pretty common.  I.e., ANY time the parent caring for the kids needs childcare, the other parent is legally entitled to provide it (if they're willing and able), before the kids may be left with someone else.  (Of course there are usually qualifiers meant to prevent abuse, like time limits [visiting relatives for a few hours doesn't count as "childcare"] or excluding household members [leaving kids with...
I'd want the gun - all guns - gone.  The crux of the problem is that your husband didn't consciously leave the gun lying around.  Had he consciously thought, "It's safe for me to leave this beside the TV.  I'm going to be in here watching it and, besides, my kids know not to touch it," then you could probably have a conversation, or send him to another safety class, and convince him to think (and therefore behave) more carefully.  Instead, his behavior indicates...
What's a brief, couth way to say, "Bring a gift to my kid's party, or don't, either one is fine.  But if you bring one, it's fine if it's something small."   We're inviting all 17 of my son's preschool classmates to his birthday party and there's a good chance they'll all come.     On one hand, I feel like my son (who has 3 older brothers and hand-me-downs) already has an awful lot of nice toys, puzzles, books and dress-up clothes.  The thought of up to 17 new...
It sounds right to have her in counseling.  Would you consider trying a different counselor?     Your daughter's hysterical aversion to her father, that is out of proportion to her specific complaints about him, does sound like parental alienation, so it's understandable that your frustrated ex blames you for poisoning her against him.  (If you're lucky enough not to be familiar with P.A., it basically means the favored parent - you - do/say subversive things to...
My twin sons are on the Autism spectrum.  Specifically, they have NVLD (non-verbal learning disabilities).  They also have poor vision, which certainly doesn't help in interpreting facial expressions or body language.  Unlike some Autistic kids, they have always been pretty sociable and eager to interact with and please people; the problem being their sometimes-skewed assessments of what interaction others want and/or the appropriate response.     Their verbal skills are...