or Connect

Posts by freestylemama

We do time outs.  We also have immediate consequences for any type of physical aggression.  We don't tolerate any hitting, kicking, pushing or anything like that it in our house or when we're out and about.  IMO, when someone (even a little someone) hurts someone else, they need a break.  They need to be removed from harming anyone, and they need to be reminded that hurting is never okay.    I'm probably different than a lot of moms at MDC, because I very much...
I just wanted to chime in and say that you might have torn no matter what, so don't beat yourself up too much.  I had a "perfect" uninterrupted water birth with my daughter.  I was well supported by my midwives and husband, fully aware and I decided when to push and how to position myself.  I still ended up tearing a ton.    I've talked to my midwife about it and she's going to offer more counter pressure and try and help me not tear.  That said, I don't blame my...
:hug: That's a lot.  You might see if you qualify for Medicaid, because sometimes it covers dental work.   I know what you mean about letting go of the medication thing.  You know it's best for you and the baby though, but it's hard.  Hang in there.
My daughter plays with her Magna Tiles all of the time.  We actually have two sets and she's constantly creating things with them.    We're also huge fans of playmobil and our playmobil people get played with a lot.  You could also buy some cool outside toys with the money. 
This discussion makes me really sad.  We just moved into a neighborhood and were snubbed by the adults across the street when DD tried to play with their kids.  It broke my heart and made me very resentful to the parents.  I tried to make myself feel better by brushing them off as unfriendly and not the norm.  I am kind of feeling sick reading this thread that an entire block would act similarly to some new kids as our rude, snobby neighbors have acted towards DD.  My...
I would think both of them were tacky if I received them.      We tell people what we want if they ask.  They need to ask first though.  If they don't ask, we have our kiddo go through toys and give some away to make room for the new ones.      
This is my second and I'm not expecting a shower and won't have one.  We just moved too.  If I was still in my old area where I had a lot of friends, I would probably organize a no gifts party kind of thing.  Showers for second pregnancies aren't done in my family or with my friends, but people often gather for a no gifts tea or moms night kind of thing.     
I will say that we did use a bucket until April for our DD and it was a real blessing for getting in and out of the house and the places where we were going. 
My DD was born in late Oct in MI.  We kept her warm while out and about by doing a lot of layers and baby wearing.  My friend gave me this awesome polar fleece pouch, which I wore under a huge coat.  I usually dressed DD in baby legs, a diaper, regular pants, a onesie and a sweater and if it was really cold a little bunting type thing.  She always had a hat, socks and baby shoes on too.  I covered her hands with mittens or a blanket that went over her car seat.  Once she...
I've been to an OB practice and was treated really well.  I don't think what you're describing is typical.    That said, I'm on midwife assisted birth #2, so I love the midwifery model.  My midwives have all been RNs though (some were CNMs and one is a CPM), but I appreciate and seek out a "both and" model when it comes to birth.  I want someone with who uses the midwifery model of care but has medical training and credentials in case we need to transfer.    I...