or Connect

Posts by MammaG

I have not used OM at all, but I have used Christopherus for K and 1. We've really liked it for Grade One. I'm making my own curriculum for this coming year when I will have a Grade One and a Grade Two (plus a toddler), but we're using a lot of Christopherus to inform that curriculum. I really think that Donna understands both Steiner and homeschooling. She brings the Waldorf principles into the home setting in a way that really works for us anyway (in contrast to,...
  And when those pretty extreme practices are used on children...well, it's worrisome.    
Thanks!  I tipped him $5, which is what I planned to do anyway.  I don't think I'd ever tip less than $5.  (Well, except like at the coffee shop.  I usually pop a dollar bill in the cup there, especially when I get more than just a coffee.)
My brother was horrified with me the other day when I took him out to lunch for tipping somewhere in the region of 13%.  It was a buffet, the waiter only had to refill water, bring bread and clear dishes.  I felt terrible that I'd done something wrong.  I was under the impression that it went something like:   10% for sub-standard care.  Not something to complain about, but really not that great.  Also for buffets. 15% for pretty standard service.  Recommends a...
Ah, yes, well, clearly that is inexcusable.  Since you posted about your 4-year-old and the 7-year-old, I was trying to address that age in my response (and my kids are that age, so it's on my mind).    I must have read your OP wrong, because I didn't see the behavior as stemming from something like a 13-year-old introducing them to bullying racist behavior.  The way you described it, it seems to me it could have been the 7yo simply saying to the 4yo, "I saw a Japanese...
I must say that my own journey into TF has been all but halted by someone I know who is pretty fanatical about it.  I see it impacting her family's life in ways that might be OK for her, but which I wouldn't be cool with.  I've read Nourishing Traditions and have spent time in the last two years on the WAPF site.  I agree with a lot of what is said there, and seen it yielding good results in several people besides my family.  But the rather extreme practice of this one...
Meemee, as always, great response.  I'm working a lot with my own issues with the line between appropriate child-like observation and something more offensive.  It's hard to teach kids that it's OK to observe, but maybe not OK to comment or immitate.  I'm often really caught off balance when it happens with my kids.    Just recently one of my kids made a friend of the husband of one of our weekly class teachers.  My DS told him "You look like my Dadda, but you have...
I've been covering my head for Lent this year.  5 weeks in and I feel I've given it some pretty good practice, but I'd love to have some tips for keeping everything in place and looking tidy!   I know there are lots of different ways that women express their covering, from a simple hair band to a full head scarf.  I feel most comfortable somewhere in between and have been wearing a scarf wrapped around my head or a bandana most days with my hair pinned up in the back...
I haven't found that 'blog, either, and I've been looking!  We're also an urban Waldorf homeschooling family.  We have an itty bitty outdoor space (I put three 5'x5' raised beds along the itty bitty driveway.  We love our little veggie garden!).  We're in a gritty neighbourhood with all that comes with that: frequent police visits somewhere on the street, trash, lots of paved front yards...and neighbours who really live by helping each other out; one side lets us pick...
Do you have all the 'standard' books?  Wynstones seasonal books?  'A Journey Through Time...'?  'Festivals, Family and Food' has some seasonal songs.  Anna Rainville's 'Singing Games for Families, Schools and Communities' is good, too.  I've used 'The Waldorf Song Book' to teach in school, but maybe this is suited to older children better?  I don't remember, sorry...lots of rounds as I remember it!  And I love the Seasons of Joy curriculum for young children, but you'd...