or Connect

Posts by MammaG

I love what Lux has to say about this.  I think pretty much any kid at age 7 could rush through the alphabet in a week tops, right?  But do we want them to?  In my opinion, my child, who is doing Christopherus Grade One right now and who has known all his letters for a few years, is being nourished, filled, enlightened by the Waldorf approach.  The stories with the letters aren't there so much as to teach the letters (although that, too).  They imbue those letters with...
My 5yo DS goes to a home-based, Waldorf-teacher-led co-op Kindergarten two days a week.  The teacher has asked us not only to avoid commercial graphics, but even something like 'a big doggie on the shirt'.  Her reasoning is that the image replaces the child in other children's eyes, they can't see the child behind the doggie.  She even asked us to make sure that they wear plain-coloured undies on co-op days.   I think that your particular school and your particular...
  No, I was just being silly (I'm a worrier and a rotten humourist.  Lost of fun at parties, I assure you).  And kind of hoping that maybe next May I'd magically turn into a zen goddess.  I sort of doubt it, but it's fun to dream about.  One of the things I worry about is that I am either spending waaay too much time reading books about how to worry less and 'be mindful', or that I'm not reading enough books to get the right message to become mindful.  Having it all...
This thread had me worried.I'm like that, too. I worry about things done and left undone. And then I worry because I'm not being 'in the moment' and living intentionally. On top of all that, I worry that now I'm getting old and it's really too late to try to change much now.But this is AWESOME!I will be 40 in May. Now I can stop worrying and wait 8 months and all will be well. Maybe I'll even get some of the worry-list knocked off.My DH is a worrier, but he's a...
When we finally got to the place you are in, a few years ago, we had my mother take our then-two little boys out for a fun day. We spent the day putting toys into those huge black contractor bags. I think we filled four bags of plastic toys! Then we took those toys to my MIL's house, where she has a huge and dry basement. This accomplished two things. one, both Grandmothers were 'in' on the plan, and there we won most of the battle with the future toy-giving thing. ...
Copied from a post I made in a previous thread:   21 Sept Equinox 29 Sept Michaelmas (celebrated long ago on 11 Oct, I think?) 31 Oct Hallowe'en 1 Nov All Saints 2 Nov All Souls (we celebrate it as Ancestor Day..tell stories, get out old albums) 5 Nov Guy Fawkes (this is just because of my Englishness and a good excuse to buy sparklers when the kids can actually stay up to use them [silly day to have a National Holiday involving fireworks, is 4 July!]) 11 Nov...
We used Seasons of Joy and Christopherus for Kindy and are using Christopherus for Grade One, with some added/substituted blocks I've either made myself or found online (Marsha's Yahoo group is a great resource...I think it's called WaldorfHomeEducators or something).  We also use elements of Charlotte Mason and I read a lot of John Holt to stay in touch with my unschooly feelings.   I like Christopherus for Grade One.  It's easy to understand and apply.  It covers...
Hi, I'd love to jump in with you ladies.   We're in our third year of 'doing' Waldorf, whatever that means.  I've got a 7YO just starting Grade One (tomorrow!  We're doing the whole rose ceremony and starting up with Form Drawing.  Fun!  And YIKES!).  I have a Kindergartener who is doing his 'bridge' year.  He'll be 6 in January.  And we have a wee one who will be 2 just after Thanksgiving.  All boys.   We're using Christopherus mostly for Grade One.  We are...
Seasons of Joy.  I've used it with two kids through Kindy and love it.  It's more of a guide than a curriculum, but each season has five themes with tons of songs, verses, and activities to go with each.  Lots of outdoor focus, plenty of stories.  The author (who is an MDC mother) says there are 10 weeks of activities per season, but we've found it to be nearly endless, and it's so enriched our home life and Kindergarten experience.   I've looked at A Little Acorn...
We're homeschoolers, too.  I have my middle son signed up for a home-based Kindergarten class this year as part of our Waldorf Co-op.  This particular class is in a member's home (well, outside that member's home!) and is taught by a Waldorf teacher.  Four hours, two days a week.  It's $45 for one day, $75 for both....so $300 per month.  There is a $150 materials fee per family for the year and we haven't figured out lunches yet, so it may be more (this is brand...