or Connect

Posts by MammaG

I made my own quite easily, in a three-ring-binder.  There are tabs for a year-long, one-page calendar for quick reference, a tab for daily schedules (like what time we need to be in the car for x activity), and a big, fold-out calendar of the year that I made using a spreadsheet application (excel or whatever you have).  On that are all of the 'knowns' of our year....our family celebrations and holidays, weekly themes for my Kindergartener, and an outline of all the...
I'm with those who say it depends completely on the context.  Obviously, I wouldn't be offended to be asked to being something to a BBQ, hang out informally, or a family kind of event.  I would be totally taken aback if I were invited to a dinner party or a birthday party and asked to bring something.  I do bring a hostess gift, sometimes something that could be consumed at the party, but sometimes not.   I kind of like throwing a party where I get to choose how the...
My 7YO son also has asked for a carrier to back-carry his 20mo brother.  I'm making him a mei tai for Christmas.  I'm just scaling down the pattern I made for myself.  The baby won't ever be sleeping on his brother's back, so it really only needs to be a safe seat to perch in (no head support needed).  I was thinking of sizing it so that the top comes to just below the baby's armpits.  The tricky part seems to be making the base small enough to go around big-brother's...
We've done a lot of harvesting today (that sounds like we're 'real' gardeners...we're not!). I have enough tomatoes and squash for a huge stew of some sort to freeze and tons of crab apples.  We'll spend the storm making crab apple jam, assuming the gas stays on.    DH is a camping enthusiast, and he's made sure his camp stove is full and his water filter in in order.  We live just a few blocks from a big river, so if we do lose water for a long time, we can bring...
I'm a very novice gardener and similarly novice at hurricanes, living in New England.  A few questions:   I harvested all the ripe-ish tomatoes, all the squash and a lot of chard.  Do I need to cut down my herbs and just dry them now?  We have a crabapple tree and have been shaking that all day to get as many down now as possible (we'll spend the storm making crabapple jelly, it seems).  Can I somehow help my tomato plants and my just-growing eggplant plant make it...
I'm thinking of buying a pressure canner to jar up some things this year.  The one I'm looking at also functions as a pressure cooker.   I've searched old threads here but wanted to ask again if:   1) Pressure canning is 'OK' for TF foods.  I'm thinking of things like spaghetti sauce and soups and stews and broth.  I use frozen broth sometimes (not enough), and I must say that saving a step with defrosting it would make me use it a whole bunch more! Also...
Yesterday was DS1's seventh birthday.  DH took the day off and we went to the aquarium.  We met another family there with two little girls.  It turned out one of them was six.  On hearing this, DS said, in a superior way, "I was once six".   My kids have been hearing reference to the US capitol city on the radio a lot this summer, with frustration in the air.  They have asked if we can visit 'Washington BC'.   (Watching a nature documentary) DS2 "How will they...
Oh my dear God in Heaven, YES!!!   I have been harassing the poor homeopathic lady at the health food store for months and months about when these would be re-released.  I hoarded a supply during the recall but we ran out in May.  I have a 20mo who is getting molars, a 7yo who is getting his big-boy front teeth and a 5yo who seems to be having the first twinges of pain from the big teeth moving in.  I've been using chamomilla and occasionally beladonna if they seem...
Wow, this is plain bad advice and bad practice. I've dealt with boats my whole life. Knew how to haul in the boat, run the motor, care for the boat properly, haul in the lobster traps by the time I was 10 or so, and my cousins and I were allowed to go solo by 12, but the one thing I would never, ever do is go on a boat without a life preserver. I even have a hard time riding a ferry without a preserver on because this important safety lesson is so entrenched. I agree...
Nope. With baby #1 I pumped and froze a stash to save 'just in case'. I think he had maybe half a dozen BM bottles kind of for the fun factor....Dadda and Granny feeding him. Baby #2, I pumped a few to have 'just in case'. As I recall, that kid never had a bottle of anything, and I threw out the BM when he was like 3 and I finally got around to planting his placenta....found the BM in the freezer alongside it! Baby #3, no such precautions! I figured if we hadn't had...