or Connect

Posts by MammaG

Agreed! I was a nanny for years, too. Unless a parent says please don't touch x, y, or z, I assume that paint in view and described to me by the child as 'her special paint' is totally game. I might even assume that since it is her special stuff (not her sister's?) that she can glob it all over the place and use the brushes as she likes.Also, unless told a child has some special outfit on, I assume that if it is on a child, it will get stained. And that will be OK, you...
CI mama, your first post a few back was really well done! I haven't been online much lately and I certainly haven't read through this whole thread...it's a novel! Sorry if I could have just seconded someone else. I voted that I would like the previous level of moderation back. I really loved that this place felt so much more civilized than many....most.....other boards. Aside from the AP/NFL content, that civility really kept me coming back. I know that we ought to...
I completely disagree with this point of view. Again, I come to MDC not to get a complete and varied viewpoint....I come to get a specifically natural family living experience. If I had doubts about when to start solids and the NFL line seemed wrong to me, I would go to a more mainstream site and ask for more mainstream references to help me make up my mind. If I were seriously considering circumcising my son, I surely wouldn't post here looking for views on both sides...
Well, I guess their business practices, which you mention, are a biggie for me. I object to the fact that they use their huge lobby weight to block consumer knowledge legislation like fair labeling. I object to the practices that they use which devalue food nutritionally. I don't like their support of the Farm Bill. I really, really hate that they not only put small farmers out of business with the whole cradle-to-grave, Round-up ready thing, but they also sue the...
DH brought home an iPad a few months ago, and then our laptop went to iHeaven and I have pretty much only used the iPad ever since. I can tell you that nothing has endangered spelling, grammar and capitalization like the iPad has. I hate to think what my command of the English language will be when I go back to a regular keyboard. I think that writing on message boards really disadvantages some (like me!). I am a grammar geek, but I like to write, leave it, think about...
I am not sifting back through nine pages to find out who suggested googling your user name, but shame on you! I have lost an irretrievable innocence. There are a lot of MammaGs out there who are not me. How dare other mothers spell Mamma with two Ms, or have names that begin with G?! Grrrr. The Urban Dictionary definition, however, is pretty funny. And slightly mortifying. You know, I get that people maybe don't like how dedicated to the crunchy (are we calling it...
I have been working on a general family emergency plan, both for emergencies (ie, where do we meet if we have to evacuate) and for after an emergency (ie, wills, life insurance, plans for the kids, getting our health proxies up to date). I have been teaching my oldest son, who is 6, about calling 911 in an emergency. I have a question which I have just been kind of too afraid to ask, but that is plain silly. What would happen to my children if I were suddenly in need of...
I am printing out this thread and keeping it in my purse to hand out when people ask me why I don't like showers.
Hmm, I disagree with pps. I think you do need to talk to him. I think that our behavior does reflect on a spouse and we have a right to ask (not demand) a change if it will help our own comfort level. I'm happy to adjust my manners around DH's family where they are different form the ones I grew up with, if it will make him feel more comfortable.. And if I were doing something that was rude enough and often enough for it to be 'an issue', I would sure want my DH to...
First, I am somewhere left of Marx (Kidding. Sort of. ) in regards to my political philosophy and I fully believe in, and vote to support, European-style social support. Universal health care, paid maternity and paternity leave, subsidized higher education....the whole nine yards.I also support, unpopularly in homeschool circles, the US ratification of the UN's Charter of the Child. I would go so far as to say that I believe that a child has the right to a SAHP, rather...