or Connect

Posts by MammaG

Aah, YES! You know, I've been thinking about this all day. I have wondered if the times when I felt more 'male' have been times when I was actually deflecting shame because I was somehow not fitting into the roles I felt pressure to fit into. So, instead of fighting the society's limited ideas of gender identity, maybe I just tried to fit myself into the only other existing role? Maybe a more self-assured child might simply say, 'hey, I'm a girl who loves dirt and...
I changed my name, too. My parents called me Jennifer and I was born in the early 70s ( that sounds like the start of a 12-step confession, doesn't it?!). This was perfectly fine until we moved to the US when I was a teenager. It felt like I ceased to exist as an individual and became a management problem; Which Jennifer? Jennifer M? Oh, and which Jennifer M?! Jen? Jenny, Jennie or Jenni?. I hated it. So I changed it to Gwen after I played a character by that name in a...
I find that I have had several changes in my sense of gender over my lifetime. I'd guess that this maybe has to do with hormone flows? For instance, I was a pretty boyish child. Even though I wore dresses, I mostly liked to hang out with the boys or my boyish girl friends and I just wanted to be outside climbing trees all day. As a teen, I still had mostly boy friends and liked boy activities (played a lot of D&D!), along with more girl activities like cheerleading. I...
I was out and about with the kids today and all the billboards are gone. It's like it never happened... I'm sort of reassured to hear that in this very tiny test group, certainly a more widespread demographic than my IRL circle, no one takes this kind of thing seriously. I just wanted to add that, carfreemama and philomom, I'm glad you shared your stories, thank you. I'm really sorry that religion and those who practice it (I mean these specific situations, not all...
Maybe I have gotten a little UAV over-sensitive! I just figured it was MDC and if there were some jokes about the whole thing at least someone would be all " Help, help, I'm being repressed!". It is now after 6PM and unless God takes daylight savings into account, I can say that it has been a seriously underwhelming experience. Since it seems to be a non-event (Dad, in sinful, sinful France was mixing Apocolyptic Cocktails six hours ago, with no ill effects besides a...
I guess what I was asking is if there is a root of real believers somewhere in there. From my (Christian) perspective, all I have seen is news about it being news, plus the joking around about it all, including and perhaps especially at church. Plus the billboards, which seem unusual. I had no idea that the message was out there enough to cause worry among children, for instance, but we are pretty media-insulated. That strikes me as....weird, I guess. I don't feel...
I feel like that a lot, too. I'm in a similar place financially, and, for me, I find that it absolutely consumes me. Planning the food, cutting corners wherever we can, worrying. It is draining. I also have a DH who encourages me to go out, but I feel somehow guilty for doing it, and I feel ashamed of our finances around my friends (my deal, certainly not founded on anything my friends feel). I also just don't have the energy most days. Even though I long to go out...
Why yes, yes I do. One of my friends married a Mr. Cellini, and we refer to them as The Cellinii. And I keep 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' on my bedside table. Which is a sad admission because I am one of those deplorable people who likes to be a stickler but is woefully bad at proper usage IRL. (I submit the previous sentences as proof.)
Similar here. On NPR and BBC World it has been mostly joking around. Although, right at the moment, NPR is doing a story which seems to be fairly balanced and respectful of those who believe. Interesting thoughts.
I must say that in my circles, on FB and in general conversation, there has been a lot of laughter and joking about Rapture Day. It is seen as a big joke and a rather silly one at that. Eschatological humor pervades. I confess that the first time I saw a billboard a few weeks ago, I thought it was advertising some TV show or something. Then I saw people posting on FB that they were in Thailand or Kenya or somewhere and the whole place is covered in signs about Rapture...