or Connect

Posts by thismama

Quote: Originally Posted by prothyraia The really ridiculous thing about that stance is that I'm fairly confident that the opportunity to repeatedly hurt other people while the adults around you discount the feelings of the injured children does not teach empathy. That situation teaches the opposite of empathy. Yep, totally. It was teaching everyone that adults didn't care enough/couldn't do anything about it, and that it was acceptable for...
Quote: Originally Posted by CariOfOz That is part of the problem with teens these days, many have been allowed to get away with things 'because they're just kids' or 'boys will be boys' and now they've just graduated to the next level of bad behavior. ITA with this. And these boys will be men. We have a problem with violent men in our culture - what should we be teaching our aggressive boys? When my child was targeted and I permitted it to...
I'm not seeing hatred or anger, nor criminalizing apart from one poster. I don't feel overmuch empathy for a child who is repeatedly aggressive and causes serious injury with intention, and who doesn't get consequences for it. I think that is okay. I've been in the shoes of the parent of the injured child a few too many times now.
What??? FTMPapa is pregnant??? I just saw this thread come up in new posts and popped in to take a peek. Dude!!!! I am over the moon for you, truly, just beyond thrilled. Congratulations!!!!!!!
Yeah. I guess I feel like just because there is a big transition in his life right now doesn't justify aggression, nor does it mean that the transition it causal just because it is co-related, kwim? No child's life is perfect, and any child who is aggressive you can think and come up with xyz reason that must be the cause. I'm not discounting that stress, insecurity, life changes can be related. But they are not necessarily so, nor do they mean that the behaviour is in any...
Eh, I kinda relate to the sociopath comment. I know a few kids who harm others repeatedly, intentionally, because they can. No remorse, no empathy. Just coldness and a strange delight in causing pain. Obviously all these kids won't grow up to be sociopaths, but it *is* sociopathic type behaviour. Very hard to be on the receiving end of, and I dislike all the sympathy that goes to the little perpetrators, while outrage for the victimized child is quieted. I have a pet...
I think it's interesting ppl blame the family structure, or assume that the child is being neglected or abused. The first is silly IMO, second is a possibility, but the violent children I have known (3, all boys, all of whom engaged in deliberate violent acts towards other children much like the ones described by the OP) had very loving, attentive parents. IME two sets of parents were 'wishy washy' in their discipline and underestimated the extent to which this violence...
Quote: Originally Posted by jeminijad Seriously. Do other primates bring canines into their family units, fostering them, feeding them, even when they "nip" the baby primates and threaten them? Do the mother primates "try to avoid" getting rid of the pups, even when their offspring is in danger, because of their warm soft fuzzy feelings? Protecting our own is biological, sociological & evolutionarily the primary directive. I have a hard time...
Santa visited my child's school. She was delighted and I was happy for her, but if asked my opinion, I think it's alienating to our apparently multicultural society to persevere with valuing Christian tradition over others, and I think it should stop.
Mine were born at 41w6d, and 41w1d. I wouldn't induce until 42 weeks, as there is no extra risk to baby until that time as far as I understand it.