or Connect

Posts by thismama

Seriously. I am lazy, disorganized, flakey, forgetful. I forget appointments and get togethers, my house is always always a mess despite me seemingly constantly trying to get a handle on it, I procrastinate, I sit around a lot, I just don't have a ton of energy. I know people with so much physical energy and I am jealous. I am not depressed, I know that's the automatic first question but I'm happy as anything, have a buoyant mood, love life, feel excited and fulfilled,...
My kids have different last names and it doesn't faze them a bit. You could do a gender split... eta - as to the 'boys are more important to carry on the man's last name' bit, that only works if you value his last name more, or assume your daughters will marry men and take their last names. i don't think it holds any weight.
Quote: Originally Posted by FtMPapa Not safe. I'd recommend a front mounted bike seat above and beyond back seats or trailers. I carry my little dog in a trailer, and I've had it be hit by a big gust of wind (once from a car that went too close, too fast) and tip over three times. It's hard to see what he's up to back there, impossible to hear him. He has even escaped, once. Now, your kid is not a dog, but the same thing applies - I want my...
Where does this happen and in what numbers, and what impact does it have on the mother/child mortality rates of those particular nations? My concern is that we can have this idea that oh no medical assistance is not necessary in birth, and those people *over there* who die due to lack of assistance are really dying because they are so culturally backward and self destructive, and we're alright man... Yikes.
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias huh? i'm sorry, i didn't say that! it IS lack of medical care, poverty, malnourishment, disease AND dangerous cultural practices that cause high mortality rates. i wasn't saying that ONLY harmful practices are to blame! not at all! they are part of the puzzle though for sure. just like the "barbaric" practices in our culture is not the only reason for substandard care and bad outcomes. only part of the...
I totes don't buy it's 'their barbaric practices' and not poverty and lack of access to medical help that causes high mortality rates. No freaking way.
What about the fact that in the rest of the world, birth goes wrong a sufficient amount of the time that access to qualified birth attendants is one of the indicators of quality of life? Here that gets chalked up to malnutrition. Which certainly explains part of it, but not all of it. Lack of access to qualified attendants *because sometimes they are needed in birth* is a very valid part of the equation of high infant and maternal mortality. What we don't need is medical...
Nobody is saying shaving is responsible for all the ills of the world - that is silly and insulting to those of us who choose not to shave and who have expressed the issues we have with it. Nor does not shaving erase sexuality, in fact I would say that it is shaving that would erase sexuality, since body hair is an adult, sexual characteristic. It doesn't have to be SUCH a big deal. I don't think any of us who choose not to shave are hating on those who do. We simply...
The difficulty I have with the 'do I trust myself' question, is that it seems to me to imply that we in ourselves can control what happens in birth. Kwim?
Quote: Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty While I understand those that have had bad experiences and or those that just don't trust that birth will happen, I truly do. However, I find it condencending to be told that I have adolescent thinking, and am arrogant to trust that birth will happen and that my body can do what it needs to do or I will instinctively know when something is wrong and I need to seek medical attention. I do have faith, but it...