or Connect

Posts by Goddess's mom

Another suggestion for the swearing that I have good results from is just to very calmly say "that is potty language.  Go swear in the bathroom."  Every time.  The first couple of times they will go into the bathroom and swear their hearts out thinking "woo hoo I'm getting away with this" but it gets boring fast when they are not getting a reaction from you.  Just the calm response to go take your potty mouth to the bathroom.  They may even send you if they catch you. ...
Here's some that we have done,   Sculpy is always good.  There's "bath bombs"  baking soda and citric acid with some colour and scent, vanilla will work.  You use just enough moisture to get htem to hold together, you can probably find a recipe online.  they are very fun to make and to use.    Magnets with those clear glass flat backed marbley-type things.  you modge podge a picture on the back and glue a magnet on the back.  Actually, come to that you could glue...
[ how do you do taxes for the year? Thus far I haven't made enough to really pay taxes. Keep your reciepts! In Manitoba I can write off a portion of my utilities, based on how much of my house gets used for daycare and how much is private, any toys bought specifically for daycare, field trips, food.....anything that is a daycare expense. If you think your expenses will not be enough then arrange to put a little aside monthly so it doesn't hurt as much at tax time,...
about the breastfeeding its ok to BF in front of the kids right? When I started taking kids into my home (this time) they started 2 weeks before my daughter was born. I took a week off and then they were back. I have always BF in front of the other kids and often in front of the parents when they were interviewing. When my daughter was younger there were times when I was nursing in a carrier with another toddler in the mei tai on my back or nursing while pulling...
If you are licensed there are probably specific rules about age ratio. I have been a child care provider for 19 years now. Skip the TV. I NEVER use one with daycare kids, there are always other things you can do. I find that the lack of TV is a selling point, many other daycares have the TV on all the time, it will make you stand out. People, in my experience will pay a little extra for no TV, home cooked meals and someone who will do crafts, activities and...
When I was in University I hit the bottom of social anxiety, I had trouble buying a roll of stamps at the post office and I said enough of this @#$%! I started takling to people, the bus driver, asking the waiter how they were doing. I swear it took 20 years for me to figure out that the answer to "Hi! How are you?" isn't "Hi?..." It's "I'm well, and yourself?" Just as you would give your child scripts to follow in social situations you can use them yourself. When...
I know a lot of people will be reading this thinking about how they are trying to discourage their child's risk taking behaviour I look after a 7 YO who has a hard (REALLY hard) time taking risks. Does anyone have any ideas, tool, books to give me some ideas on how to help her gain more confidence and, I guess, resiliance.
We almost always eat supper together as a family and since I have a home daycare I eat lunch with the kids or at least sit at the table with them. (at a little tiny table on little tiny chairs, sometimes I think the living room floor would be more comfortable) I serve the kids "family style" There is a learning curve but I found doing it this way makes me more relaxed (not policing what and how much they are eating) and teaches them manners and to listen to their own...
I have been a nanny and a home daycare provider for the last 18 years and people have always been impressed with how well behaved my kids were. So when I got pregnant I had EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends tell me that I would automatically lose all of my child care skills when it came to my child, like they would be expelled with my placenta. Are you kidding! I have to keep this one! No way I jettison everything that has worked for the last 18 years on everyone else's...
I love the wraps (also in the size 20ish area) I have a woven one now (Elleroo) that has less stretch. the stretchy wraps are great for wee babies but not so much bigger babies or toddlers. Have you tried a Mei Tai? It is simpler and works quite well. I find the straps plenty long but you could always try Etsy.com and have one of the sellers there custom one for you. The MT is great for a back carry if you have a tired toddler also. There have been times where I...