or Connect

Posts by farmkids42morrow

This is what I do to earn a living, so I can give it to you straight from the horse's mouth...   The less cluttered your home is, the cleaner the result will be and possibly it will even be less expensive.  I have one client that has TONS of decorative stuff that needs to be dusted.  Obviously this takes time.  More time costs more money.  If having lots of stuff out on display is important for you that's fine and it can be cleaned, but you will have to pay...
Sometimes spending extra $ to get one quality item that will replace one or more so-so items makes life so much easier.  For me it was cast iron pans.  I was so tired of replacing pots and pans that got scratched or handles were wobbly or whatever.  I spent the money to get good quality cast iron and have had them for years and will still have them for many more.  I never have to even think about all the stupid stuff that comes along with an inferior pan.  I think that's...
I have 4 kids so laundry is a daily chore here too.  I've found that making it easy and enjoyable for myself is the key.  Keep an area clear that you can use to fold and stack the clothes according to whom they belong to.  Commit to folding by a certain time - I use a dryer now, so when I get them out they get folded immediately.  When I was hanging out my clothes, they were folded as soon as I came in the house.  Don't leave them lay around.   Get enough hampers to...
We had one for a long time.  They are great and not difficult at all other than the care of emptying when necessary.  If you have a large family, it would probably be better to have a separate one that is just for pee.  Otherwise it gets very liquidy and that is when problems arise.  If it's just you and your husband or something, one may suffice.   Use as little toilet paper as you can, that takes longer than anything else to break down and causes more mess than...
I've been making my own detergent for several years now using the recipe you mentioned.  You really do need washing soda to make it work well.  If your local stores don't sell it, they may be willing to order it for you if you're willing to buy a full case.  There are also people that sell it on ebay, I think Amazon sells it, but obviously it's going to cost more that way.   Arm & Hammer makes it, you can look it up on their site for more information about washing...
I heat with wood.  This is my first year doing it and it has been a learning experience to say the least!   I live in northern PA, so it get's very cold...last week the wind chills were below zero.  My home is slightly less than 1000 sq. ft. and I'm estimating that I'll end up using around 7 cords this year by the time all is said and done in spring.  
Thanks everyone. I guess the message I'm getting is that just being there is more important than what I might say or do. I hope I'm able to give her the support she needs. I have a large family, all of my children were conceived during a supportive marriage and still being pregnant was stressful. I cannot even imagine being single, being raped, and being pregnant and having to deal with it alone. That is just too much to ask someone to bear. That is why I want to...
I don't really know where to post this, so I'm starting here - if this isn't the place...sorry! One of my friends is going through a terrible experience right now and I'm looking for some advice on how to help her. She was raped several weeks ago and recently found out that she became pregnant as a result. She is not going to abort the baby. I want SO much to help her but am desperately afraid of saying or doing the wrong thing and making her anguish worse. Any...
try www.librivox.org There are a lot of adult titles, but if you look through the catalog list, there are plenty of fun children's titles as well.
Well, in my experience phonics is the best way to help a child with difficulties to be able to read. My one son was not interested in "schooly" reading/phonics lessons. But he loves the LeapFrog Learning videos. It's helped me too - I can remind him of the rules easily by reciting a few lines from the songs he memorized. I honestly don't know if he would have learned to read without these great videos; some kids just can't learn by being told, they need to see & sing...