or Connect

Posts by nmelanson

How do we balance the idea of having a fun and happy Christmas, full of magic and wonder while at the same time having a conscious Christmas? I found this fairly easy in the past, but now that DS1 is 7, I'm find it is a whole new ball game! I can't figure out how to balance kids' expectations ('cause let's face it, they have them!) with our concerns over consumerism? I am just really worried that he will be disappointed, and I really want this to be a special Christmas...
My DS1 is named Kieran. I had never met a male named Kieran, but I grew up with an East-Indian female Kiran in my school. Kieran is an Irish male name meaning "little dark one"; the Indian Kiran means "child of light. I chose it because I felt it had a balance between light/dark, masculine/feminine...      2006 - the year DS1 was born, there were 6 Kierans born in the whole province of British Columbia. Three or four of them ended up being on the little island where I...
And the GAPS diet... I'm wanting to start this - but I'm so tired!
Thanks for the responses - ODD sounds scary, and it could be our issue. I do recognize that this issue could be exacerbated by the fact that he's going through a growth-spurt and is constantly starving. Also, I should consider that it has probably been a tough few months for my little guy; I was sick for about 2 months and not able to give him much attention, then big brother was out of school, so they were constantly competing for limited attention of the adults. We're...
OMG - I have this same problem. The part that annoys me the most is that 3 yo DS falls asleep peacefully once I get up... so essentially I'm woken up anywhere from 2:30- 4:30 in the morning until I actually get out of bed. Wits end... I don't know what to do. I can't keep him out of my bed, as I don't even realize when he comes in. Also, when I'm sleeping it's like I'm completely immobilized and can't move to deal with it. Sometimes he has the nerve to tell me to go away....
Hey - I haven't posted anything in ages.... well, now I have 3 yr old DS2. He was born roaring like the little tiger he is (born in 2010, year of the tiger), and has never stopped. He has been a huge tantrumer since he was 18 mos and it has been really stressful for our family. He is also destructive and defiant - he trashes our house and his big brother's things. He learned at an early age to tell us he hated us and I hear that about 100 times a day. Sometimes life with...
I wouldn't say that I'm as crunchy in some areas as I used to be, but I live on an acreage (on an island in the pacific northwest) where we have a huge vegetable garden, we raise our own chickens for meat and eggs, we are raising pigs for meat (but I'm not going to eat them... hee hee), once my youngest became potty trained we started to use the old baby wash cloths instead of toilet paper, I do the "no poo" thing and hardly have to wash my hair because of it.... we...
First birth was easy - it was long, slow and steady and very manageable. I didn't even know I was going through transition. Second Birth was something else. I was induced and went from 5cm dialated to baby being out in less than 15 mins. However, worse than labour pain was the headache I got from sunstroke once, and gallbladder pain when I was in Latin America. I think those were worse. I still would give birth again any day, my experiences haven't made me fear it. I...
Ummmm....think there is actually a lot of scientific evidence to show that eating paleo is better for the human body than grain-filled diets in general. First of all, the advent of agriculture brought us a whole store of new diseases and a SHORTER life expectancy than pre-ag peoples. Rotten teeth, osteoporosis, cancer and diabetes are side-effects of grain-filled diets. Grains are not nutrient dense foods - they are fillers and they allow us to feel full without...
Hmmm? tell me more! how do you widen a child's palate? Perhaps I should read more in the TF section... Dh and I are considering a paleo diet. 1yo Ds has had non-stop runny nose since march (was NEVER sick before that) and 4yo Ds has frequent diarrhea and tummy upsets. I myself have Myasthenia Gravis, so need an anti inflammitory diet to follow.