or Connect

Posts by alwayshappy

Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie I wasn't being sarcastic. I really have no experience with starting cults, but I'd never heard of one being started by buying a couple of used paperbacks at the Salvation Army. I'm not out to villify you. I would think it was pretty silly of you to waste your money like that when I could just order the book from Amazon.com or a billion other places. I would say we have a healthy difference of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Viola I think her sole purpose for buying them was to remove those particular copies from distribution. She is legally allowed to buy them and keep them in her home so that they are not available to others. That is not the same as stopping new moms from reading them. You may have issues with her doing this, but it's her legal right to express herself in this manner. read the OP - it says "to stop new moms reading...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie Is that how cults get started? Extending the benefit of the doubt to the OP, I really didn't get the feeling she was trying to start a cult, but to protect babies. Personally, I find telling someone how they may or may not spend their money a lot scarier than buying an Ezzo book for kindling. Its her intent on stopping others making a free will choice thats wrong. and cultism - yes thats exactly...
Quote: Originally Posted by kamilla626 Well if you were to come into my house and remove things that belong to me...? I'm pretty sure that's a felony. What I did was buy some books that I have no intention of using. Is it just as wrong to buy books and then never get around to reading them? (I do that all the time, too!) I didn't steal them. I didn't prevent anyone from finding the same information at a bookstore or on the internet. I didn't...
Quote: Originally Posted by sapphire_chan If you think those things are abusive and you don't spend $1 to get a book on the topic off the shelves of you local thriftstore, I think you're morally wrong. I strongly disagree with your choice to not take simple action in the face of child abuse. My apologies for being classist and assuming you have $1 to spare for something you feel strongly about. because its their right do do those things as...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie This makes no sense to me. Why doesn't she have the right to purchase whatever she wants from a shop? And how does that stop someone else from reading the book? I purchase tons of books, both new and used. Does that somehow unjustly censor others as well? Or is it just the intent that makes it bad? its the intent to stop others reading books SHE doesnt approve of. Who presumes that the way they do...
Quote: Originally Posted by Momtwice I object to censorship, but I object to child abuse manuals more. but thats YOUR interpretation of child abuse - not the laws. I think that kids not getting a proper education is abusive, I think depriving children of toys and gifts at Christmas and birthdays is abusive, heck I even think dry nursing is abusive, but I cant go do anything about these either as its not against the law and the parents are...
Quote: Originally Posted by kamilla626 .... so no one else would. Actually, there were THREE copies of Baby Wise along with the Dobson book at the thrift store. I'm torn about what to do with them now, but I feel as though maybe I stopped 3 new moms from reading - and following - their "techniques". why would you do that?? so you don't agree with the books teachings (as I dont either) but you have no right to stop others from reading...
I think the lables of gifted intelligent IQ genius are pretty irrelevant these days to even worry about. Its a tag many people carry and then use to differentiate themselves from others to feel superior as if its confirmation of that fact. It has made absoloutely ZERO difference to my life having a top level IQ score - mine is 154, I am apparently part of the elite genius group - luckily my folks didnt tell me that made me special or "gifted" so I didnt adopt an aloof...
Quote: Originally Posted by annakiss I'm not sure what you're not understanding. I think is stems from the fact that the UK is very different in terms of alternative educational choices and the universities/colleges pretty much solely base their applications on school gained qualifications - this may be changing VERY slowly and only in a very few cases has this generic rule been varied from. This is the system I was educated in so when I see...