or Connect

Posts by lach

I agree that a school environment is not necessary for a 3 or 4 year old, but I do think that a highly social one with lots of other kids is.   Up until a generation or two ago, very young children were kicked out of the house after breakfast so their mother could do the chores, and expected to play outdoors for most of the day with neighborhood children.  I would be willing to bet that this was a tradition that goes waaaaay back into pre-history.  Parents have work...
I've been hearing a lot about this too, and I think I am confused.  How can you deny AIDS?  Isn't it obvious that it exists?     Sorry to be so thick, but can you explain what you mean?
I don't mind the ads.  I thought the Oscar Meyer lunchmeat one in the vegetarian forum was hilarious, not in an entirely good way, but that got sorted out and MDC has to support itself some way.  Running this site isn't free.   The problem with moderation is that it should be based on value judgments.  Not blanket rules.  MDC tried to create blanket rules, which meant that people felt muddled.  "Taking issue."  What does that even mean?  Of course if someone launches...
Because preschool is an awesome amount of fun?  We've been starting my kids in little toddler preschools at 2, and it's the best parenting decision I've ever made.  They have a blast, make friends, form connections with other adults, do all sorts of activities, and I get some time to spend one on one with the younger kids.     I think it may be regional, but it's hardly a new thing. Both my sister and I started preschool at age 2 also, on different sides of the country.  
I wonder this too, because I've noticed it too.   Something else that I've noticed is that the multi-age classroom seems to really make the children help eachother and look out for eachother. My daughter was one of the youngest in her classroom this year, and practically every day she'd come home and tell me how one of the "big kids" showed her something or helped her with something.  At the birthday parties I've been to where the whole class is invited, the older...
  LOL, yeah.  I flew by myself with 2 kids and 1 carseat and they were easily 2 of the worst days of my life.  NEVER again... at least until my kids get much older.    
I think that the OP is interested in Waldorf, and Waldorf has a very specific spiritual/religious reasoning behind most of its precepts.  For letters and numbers it's that they're man-made, and thus "of this world."  Meanwhile, Steiner believed that until age 7, children exist mostly on a spiritual plane.  Introducing "worldly" things too early, he believed, messed up their natural development from angel to human.  
Sometimes life is about making the less bad choice.  I would have made the same choice you did: it sounds like your other choice would have been to sit outside a closed airport all night.   It sounds like a scary situation, and I'm glad everything worked out.  *hugs*
Every single person I know in real life had a lot of pain the first 4-6 weeks.  On the two other parenting message boards I frequent (one cruchy lite, one very mainstream but still with a very pro-BFing culture), almost everyone agrees that the first few weeks are extremely painful.  The ONLY place I've come across people who swear they had no pain was here on MDC.  And, yes, I (and most of my friends IRL, I can't vouch for people online) had superb lactation...
When you have a barely verbal toddler, that's pretty much what a "relaxed and natural" conversation is like, though.  There's about a year or two or three where they don't really have much to add to the conversation except direct, single word answers.  You'll also find that when they develop new skills (learning colors, counting), they LOVE to show off, and to be asked to show off those new skills.  IME, things like learning numbers, letters, colors and animal sounds are...