or Connect

Posts by lach

I guess it depends on your area and who you're talking to, but I think that homeschooling is something that was once fringe, but is now really moving into the mainstream.  I was homeschooled for a year when I was a child, and I was the only kid I ever met who was homeschooled, until I was an adult!  Now I know several families that are homeschooling or interested in homeschooling.  And so many people read "mom blogs" written by people who homeschool, and seem to have...
There are many ways to teach reading, but most are phonics based, because that's what works for more children.  "Phonics" itself cannot be boring, because it's just a system.  The implementation can be boring, or it can be interesting, depending on the curriculum.  There are about a zillion different curricula out there for teaching reading, and I've used exactly none of them, so other people can probably be more help, LOL.   Check out the Reading Eggs website.  My...
I always liked "Keep the Light Burning, Abby" when I was a kid.  It's based on a true story about a girl who has to keep the lights in a lighthouse burning, because a surprise storm comes up while her father (the lighthouse keeper) is away.     I'll try to think of some others...   When you go from Ohio to Maine, will you be taking Route 80 or 90 to 95?  The first will bring you through Pennsylvania, and the second through upstate New York.  Seneca Falls is right...
As others have said, normal.  But I just wanted to say why: reading is pretty much the only thing where the direction of an object matters.  If I show you a book, it's a book.  If I flip it backwards, it's still a book.  He's spent the past 5 years with everything he sees staying the same thing whether he's looking at it front, back or upside down.  Now he's presented with a d, which when you turn backwards is something totally different.  Even worse, when you turn it...
This is nonsensical.  How on earth can they show interest if they aren't exposed to it?  Your 4yo is not going to walk up to you and say "Mummy dear, I feel there is something missing in my life.  Some way to enumerate objects, so that I can tell you exactly how many fish sticks I would like for dinner without having to perform intricate charades.  Really, Mummy?  There is?  "Numbers," you say?  How fascinating!  I must learn more.  Now if only there were some way to...
Yes, I originally found the site on a thread very much like this one, but which was removed almost immediately.  I just happened to see the link.
  I completely agree.  I also feel like we're going around in circles.     "That site is awful!-->have you been there?--->No it's awful!--->Try going--->Okay, I went, and it's not so bad.-->See?"     Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.  I have to wonder if the people who are only coming on now have even bothered to read the whole thread and actually see what everyone is saying.  Every time we go back to square one, it just makes me roll my eyes, because rehashing the whole...
I think this has been a fairly interesting conversation, actually.  The TWWS contingent is being asked questions, and are answering them.  I think there's been some pretty valid constructive criticism all around.  
MDC definitely needs to find a happy medium.  There has to be something in between moderating everything that isn't Stepford Crunch, and actively ENCOURAGING racism and homophobia.  The race baiting question on Facebook was really beyond the pale.  
If you're not interested, then don't go there.  It's not terribly hard.   And if you think that TWWS is mainstream... LOL, I think maybe you should go spend some time on an actual mainstream board!