or Connect

Posts by lach

I feel like the homeschooling forum is the only on I follow that's still moving at all since the redesign.  I subscribe to a few different forums here, and this is the only one that keeps popping up.  I do wish there was a way to unsubscribe from the unschooling threads, though.  I keep clicking on them out of boredom, and usually they just upset me.  The redesign just isn't good, unfortunately :(  It's not easy or intuitive to click around.  I keep losing threads, and...
I haven't heard of either of those books, but that's definitely a subject that interests me!  I've read all of Paul Farmer's books, and a few older books on structural violence (I took a class in college where we read Weapons of the Weak and that's the first time I had ever really heard of it, so it's something I've dabbled in reading about since).  A very good friend works for organizations that help organize women in India in particular, but she's also worked in several...
Thinking about it, usually the latter.  I guess we fundamentally disagree, because I'm fine with that.  More than fine.  I actually hope that's why they'd recommend something!  
  There really isn't any difference for me.  I enjoy filling in realms of information that I'm deficient in.  I would actually assume that's why they gave me the book.  I have friends who are interested in all sorts of things, so I enjoy reading about what they're interested in so I can talk about it with them.  I'm really not offended if someone says "you obviously know nothing about this, here's a book."  There's a lot of information in the world, and I'll be the first...
I agree with Roar.  I've often read books that I wasn't interested in because a friend or family member recommended it.  It might not spark a lifelong interest, but on the other hand it might.  If someone recommended it, I'd at least assume the book was good.  How can someone grow if they're not interested in exploring new things?  And the easiest way to discover new things is to have someone you trust bring it up.  
I think that these are very good points.  About the first one, even careers that didn't used to be math based are becoming more so.  If you look at hedge funds, you'll find almost everyone there has a PhD in math or science: things like physics preferred.  I think it's similar across the financial services industry.  I know that's only one example, but twenty or thirty years ago a lot of investment advice was based on gut feelings: now it's pretty much all based on...
I'm sorry if I came across as sarcastic, it's just that Clan of the Cave Bear and Aurthurian legend really aren't historical fiction.  The first is about pre-history, and the second is about someone that some scholars doubt even existed, and stories about him usually involve wizards and sorceresses casting magical spells.  Neither has any basis in historical fact.   I agree that historical fiction can teach history, but I do disagree with your selections, for the...
I'm confused.  I thought the point of presenting these sorts of games was supposed to be that they are an "educational moment" that is supposed to spark a deeper interest.   Also, I've played Civilization, and there is no "feel for an era" and there is no historical accuracy.  It's a game where you're an arbitrary country and compete against other arbitrary countries using arbitrary "resources" that you game the system to acquire. As a history major in college, I'm...
I don't think they meant well at all, tbh.  I am at a complete loss as to why they felt the need to post in this thread, except as some sort of attention seeking device so we could all applaud their parenting.   Not gonna happen.  In the history of the world, I don't think there's ever been anyone who could afford it who didn't hire help with the kids and the house.  Until, of course, MDC came along.
I think the issue is that math is a subject that really builds upon previous skills in a way that other subjects don't.  If you read about WWII and then study Alexander the Great, eventually you can put everything together and you haven't really lost any information.  Sure, you might not get some Alexander the Great reference in a book about Hitler's aspirations, but you can probably figure it out or it's really easy to look it up.  Just by reading a lot, you not only...