or Connect

Posts by lach

Honestly, it probably developed poorly prenatally and there isn't much you can do. My son is missing enamel on his four front teeth, and the dentist said that it's not uncommon. It wasn't anything I did, but it just means that I had a cold or maybe I digested something bad or who knows what the week that they developed. FWIW, I asked about a sealant, and she said that the sealant is designed to go over enamel and won't stick to his teeth. Luckily, it just seems to...
ITA with Ikea.
Quote: Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama me too I loved that book too! I wrote a book report about it, and my teacher gave me a check minus (so, basically FAILED ME) solely because I said that it was a great book but not terribly realistic that his parent would let him do that. She wrote a really long comment about how books have to be believable to be good and if I didn't find it believable then I should be more critical about the whole book....
Quote: Originally Posted by zeldamomma But why are you sure your hypothetical homeschooled 7 year old has an inferior social life? Where did that come from? If you were talking about a real kid that would be different, but when you imagine a kid, and your imagined kid has an inferior social life, it's reasonable to ask why you made that choice. All that we know about him is that he's homeschooled, and so it's reasonable to assume that you feel...
Craft Media Hero, the idea of using different ones for different subjects is a really good one! I hadn't thought of that. It's not like these boards are very expensive or take much room to store.
Quote: Originally Posted by zeldamomma The bolded sentence above suggests to me that you might consider the social lives of homeschoolers to be inferior. But you might only be talking about the social lives of obnoxious children. A challenge in talking about public schooled kids as homeschoolers is that there are differences between these communities that you can't help but notice if you are used to living in one community and then find yourself...
Quote: Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C Do you mean to say that all hs'ed children's social lives are inferior to those of ps'ed dc, or were you referring to someone specific? I'm sorry, where did you get that in ANYTHING that I said? I mean, that didn't even have anything to do with what I was talking about. Oh my god, especially to the point that you went off on the rant that you did. I'm sorry, but I couldn't read the whole thing because...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamazee I appreciate everyone's perspective. I haven't really decided what to say, but I have decided to say something when this comes up again naturally. Something very gentle as the mom and J are very nice people and I don't want their feelings hurt. I don't think it's fair to keep saying no without explaining why not. I was thinking about this thread, and I wonder if there is some sort of "history" that you...
Quote: Originally Posted by newbymom05 There's an interesting article in this month's Atlantic on obesity and one of the things it mentions as part of our obesity culture is the fact that it's now socially acceptable to eat at any time, which wasn't the case 50+ years ago. I've asked my mom what snacks she ate as a child in the 50's and the question surprised her. She said they ate 3 meals a day and that was it, she didn't remember ever eating a snack at...
Quote: Originally Posted by elanorh We are careful how we talk about it in our house -- step-MIL is a school teacher, my sister is a principal, etc. so there are some tender feelings on the issue; focusing mostly on how much we travel, and on how well this is working FOR US, seems to make it most manageable. I think this is a very good point, and something to keep in mind. I've worked with a lot of homeschoolers, and most are really sweet...