or Connect

Posts by BabyXMama

Subscribed.  Thanks for the chance.
We started our DD with a paci at about 3 or 4 weeks old to soothe her after she finished nursing (she was very clear about being done nursing and wasn't much of a comfort nurser anyway).  We mostly only used it to soothe her to sleep and she used it for about 6 or 7 months at bedtime/naptime only, then we got rid of it, and she didn't miss it.  Super easy but very essential to get her to sleep.  We'll try it again with the new baby.  I started with the paci around the...
The Naomi Aldort book SunnyPerch mentions is my all time, absolute favorite parenting book.  It's very different from how I was raised, so it was very useful for me to read.  The Dr. Sears books aren't bad, but his tone is very condescending towards working mothers as well.
I guess my concern would be the informality of the care situation.  But I'm biased because I specifically chose to put my daughter in a corporate day care setting.  I wanted multiple "eyes" on her, and I liked that they had a formal policy on how they deal with everything (including biting).    They taught the kids how to interact nicely with each other, and what was ok and not ok, etc.  It sounds like this mom might not be doing that, and is more hands...
ooh, thanks for the reminder.  I'll have to figure out my daughter's costume in advance, b/c I suspect I won't be up for much during the actual month of October.  She was tamago sushi last time, so I'll have to think of something equally good (and no-sew!) this time as well...   The baby is just going to have to make do with a Halloween themed sleeper :)
I should also say, I struggled a lot wth going back to work after my mat leave was up, even though I was able to negotiate a part time schedule.  It wasn't until recently (DD is now 2.5) that I'm at peace with, and glad I kept working.    For one thing, it allowed my husband to quit a job he was really unhappy in.    And the other - it's actually nice to have "something else" outside of the house, not just for the money, but for my brain to work a different way,...
I'd recommend reading "All the Money in the World" by Laura Vanderkam.  It makes you look at your expenses a little differently - ie you don't have to spend a ton of time couponing to save 50 cents or whatever.  It was pretty eye opening for me.   Hubby just quit his job so we're living on my part-time income now - that should be interesting...  We're on what is probably going to be our last vacation for a long time.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'll be in a hospital, with an OB and I already know it'll be a C-section since I had one last time and have no desire to attempt a VBAC.  My daughter's birth in 2009 was awesome - we got an appointment for the C-section, showed up, my doc (who is also my neighbor) delivered her, and I could walk stairs and carry her no problem 2 days later.  Super fast healing and no long lasting effects.    Fingers crossed that this one goes...
I with the others that you're under no obligation to tell.  It's illegal for them to ask in interviews whether you have children and I assume asking about pregnancy is the same, so why volunteer.  You might also be surprised - companies tend to hire for the long term, so a mat leave 6 months from now is likely a blip in their radar if they like you long term.   Also, some companies (usually huge ones) don't have a "required" waiting period before you're eligible for...
I'm debating whether to buy an infant car seat with a larger height/weight limit.  Our daughter was so huge she outgew it at 6.5 months which meant I had to wake her to take her out of the car if we went somewhere :(  But maybe this one won't be so huge...   I need to buy a new comfy chair for nursing since I sold our last one, thinking we were done :(  For the first couple of months nursing upright was much easier for me.