or Connect

Posts by Lenore K.

Relaxed and frugal - yup! that's what we are, too! Anna turned 6 in May. Her learning basically happens throughout the day. We take the time to expand on learning moments whenever we can! We do a calendar regularly. She watches PBS and uses their websites for games which she doesn't see as "schoolwork." She loves to play Spore. Meaningful reading, writing and math comes in spurts throughout everyday living. She balked at writing and then all of a sudden was very...
I would say just keep putting yourself out there, be available and a 'click' will clack when it's clunkable! This is what I am currently doing...waiting for that clunkable time! In the meantime, my 6 yr old daughter has one "best friend" who is public-schooled. We do spend some time together during the school year, but her friend's spare time is getting smaller and smaller as time goes on. It is frustrating to have to work around a school year that you are trying to...
My opinion on the use of television is that you are the one in control of it. I agree with the use of PBS shows. Some of them are well-done and introduce a variety of topics that we use as a springboard for other activities based on my now 6 yr old's interests. She plays their games on-line, too. It is all fun for her and I am amazed at the learning that does happen. She doesn't consider it "school." I document what she watches and what we do. What she does consider...
We were told during a staff development on Child Abuse that in our area a judge will look at a case and see if the parents made a good determination based on many things - age, maturity, how long left alone, any circumstances indicating it was a bad choice and the parents knew, etc. There is no specific age. I am assuming that means a judge gets involved when someone gets reported or something "goes wrong."
Ask questions, use a logical thinking process and learn to believe that there is still more to learn! My children went through a number of challenging personas which led to a lot of interesting converstions and activities throughout their teenage and young adult years. Some of their newly-found beliefs were very challenging to us as a family, yet they were never squelched as far as conversations go, if they presented things in a respectful and thoughtful manner. Yes, there...
Our six year old daughter enjoys the Fancy Nancy books, but not above others - about the same as she enjoys other books. She "inherited" her older sister's dress-up clothes (which we are always adding to) and has fancy, glittery things in there. When she went through the typical "princess-stage," she got a variety of sparkly things as gifts from people to add to the box. I, too, was wary of the focus on the having to have the "girly" things in the Fancy Nancy series. For...
Technically, we live in Ironwood, MI, across the river from Hurley (in the northeastern part of Wisconsin). We are planning a move to the Ashland area which is only about 45 min. away from Ironwood. Looking for a place with a bit of s p a c e!
We are planning a move to the Ashland Wisconsin Area and are wondering about the homeschooling families and activities in the area. Thanks to anyone with any information!!!
Hi! We are also planning on moving - to the Ashland area. We now live in Ironwood in the western end of Michigan's Upper Peninsula - about 45 min. away from there. You were interested in thrift stores. There are two St Vincent DePauls Stores - one in Ironwood and one in Bessemer (less than 10 min. away from Ironwood). There is also an independent thrift store in Ironwood. There is a food bank of sorts that also gives clothing for a donation in Hurley, WI across the river...
Spent a day last week in Washburn and Bayfield, WI, looking for houses. Checked out a few, but too close to neighbors. We want a little more space! Did see a few nice places, but they may be a bit out of our price range! Did scope nice areas to live, though. We had a picnic lunch. Anna swam at Memorial Park in Washburn in a nice little swimming spot at the end of a small footpath. There were big rocks to climb on - something she loves to do - and she made a new 6 yr old...