or Connect

Posts by Lenore K.

Just wondering how your search is going and if you did visit the area? I have similar needs! We are currently living in Michigan on the border near Hurley, Wisconsin. I always thought of ourselves as being part of WI rather than MI because of the proximity. I did a search just to find like-minded homeschoolers in our area. The one group we have is Christian-based and not very active, but pleasant enough. Not much going on there except swaps and info. No regular...
I don't think I am ever completely done cleaning after homeschooling! Our kitchen and dining room tables always have something on them! Great Quest! I wish I had someone like you in our town with more options when mine were born. Nice to meet you!
A couple of years ago I quit my job for practically the same reasons. Another reason was our daughter getting closer to school-age and knowing the quality of the school system here, I was really stressing over that. It took a year of discussions - pros and cons - with her father before I took the plunge. Our income was cut to a bit less than 1/2. I was the major wage-earner while he watched Anna and ran a small business from home. I am now getting more satisfaction from...
We are homeschooling our 6 year old. I have a 23 yr old daughter who attended public school. She, too, did not get into all the high school social stuff that was offered. She had her own social life with her own circle of friends and activities. We regularly heard comments like "Oh, she is missing out," "She would really have fun....really," "She needs to get out more." That last one was because she didn't attend games, proms, afterschool "school" activities. She chose not...
My MDC Newsletter made reference to "Homeschool Water Table Project" and I can't find it. The link takes me to diapering topics. I seem to be having some difficulty finding my way around this site. Anybody else find it? Or is there a place to go for tips on getting around here!?! Thanks for any help!
We are homeschooling our 6 year old daughter. We, too, are homeschooling year round and take time off when needed. We are very relaxed in our approach and base a lot of what we do on her interests. We are being more purposeful in our planning as she is getting older. We do make use of a variety of texts and workbooks, but focus more on hands-on experiences. We extend her PBS television viewing with additional activities. We use these shows (from Sid the Science Kid to...
My daughter, Anna, will be 5 this May. We have been doing activities primarily based on her interests. Things I have planned more for have been health and safety. Having worked in the Early Childhood Education field in the past, I have a lot of resources to cover the next few years as well as archiving those new ones I get from people such as you all. At this age it doesn't take much to get them interested in any topics, if they are hands-on, meaningful to them and you...
I agree with Aimee and Kathi: Anyone posting a list? I just joined and haven't had time to go back and read through them all yet. I would also like a forewarning of religious content when books are referred. I just ordered two copies of I Am Learning All The Time. One is for us and one is to donate to our local library. Thanks for all the tips, folks! Lenore Mother of Three Adults and One 5 Year Old in May