or Connect

Posts by rusticity

Miranda, I am glad you clarified about the kitchen timers b/c it did sound a little crazy to me as I envisioned a wind up timer that blares at the end!   Also, I realize that I need to get her teacher more involved in this too.
Thanks again for all the replies - very interesting to me!   I will have my DH take a look at the practice schedule & see how he can tweak it for the "homework" DD usually gets.  I do think something along these lines will be helpful as a guide/checklist - otherwise I do think aimlessness is a problem!  Thanks for the template!   My goal is not to become like the friend that I mentioned in my original post.  I was just afraid that she and I were at opposite ends of an...
She currently takes a lesson on Wed. & dad is available to help Sat. & Sun.  Prior to the start of this school yr,, the lesson was on a Thurs. & that actually worked better b/c there was less time between lesson & dad help.  There is a chance we can switch back to Thursdays once summer arrives.  And yes, we have a weighted keyboard available.
Thanks for the comments.  She definitely doesn't have any other passions although she's tried a wide variety of activities.  For the most part, she's likes them all to a degree.  Piano is definitely the longest running activity for her & I think she enjoys it.  I guess I just struggle with how to support more practice without alienating her from it.  The fellow mother I referenced in my initial post had recently had a DD drop the violin (she had started it within the last...
I am just looking at perspective regarding how our family is handling music lessons.  My oldest is in 4th grade and soon to turn 10 yrs old - she has been taking piano lessons since age 6.  The lessons typically go year round although the teacher takes 4 to 6 weeks off a year to travel out of country.  The lessons are something my oldest wanted as well as my husband who grew up playing instruments (I have no musical background at all).  My DD enjoys the lessons and wishes...
My DD was grade skipped last year.  She went from K to 1st after Christmas break.  It was at the teacher's suggestion and no one in the school can recall it happening before.  We did not ask or push for it b/c she was very happy in Kindergarden and our older DD had been even more academically advanced in K and we did not skip her nor did anyone suggest it.  I think one factor in my DD's case is that she seems to be globally advanced - not just academically but socially...
Thanks for the responses.  I am going to just let it go & see what happens next time.  Just too clarify, the books I mentioned are ones she read before even entering K.  I checked the Lexile scores of books she has read in the past year or so & there are plenty 1000 or greater.  I think Little Women is 1300.  I don't think her choices are dictated by the score so I don't think it really matters.  It is just surprising to see something at odds with what I...
My 8 year old (3rd grade) was just give her Lexile score - 750. It seems so low to me. DD started reading at 3. Read Charlottes Web the weekshe turned five, followed by most of the Dahl books. She's read tons of nonfiction and is currently reading Little Women. She has always seemed to have a solid understanding of what she has read. I am not worried about the score itself but am wondering if we've missed something in terms of comprehension or some underlying issue...
My DD skipped at her teacher's recommendation for K to 1st midyear last year & started 2nd grade a few weeks ago.  It took her about 5 weeks to really settle in.  The day was a little longer than K so she was more tired.  Her one weak point was handwriting that she was struggling with.  However, she herself wanted to keep plugging away at it & each week got better and after 5 weeks it was as if she was there all along.  She's had no issues this year in 2nd grade (knock...
We are probably what is considered "afterschoolers".  I have a rising 3rd grader (read at 3, entered K at middle school reading level & 3rd grade math) and a rising 2nd grader (not as advanced as older DD but at school's suggestion did a midyear skip from K to 1st this year).  I had considered homeschooling but both are very much interested in going to school.  Also, the homeschooling groups availabe to us are not for us for various reasons.   Oldest DD was fine with...