or Connect

Posts by PGTlatte

I am not an unschooler and I am forum crashing.  OP, you sound miserable.    You do not have to keep on with a philosophy/practice that is not working for you or your kids, no matter what it is or how badly you wanted to believe in it.  All that really matters in the end is whether or not it is working for your family.  You can give yourself permission to consider different ways of doing things.   It's okay.   Being flexible is not any kind of failure.   
I'm not non-coercive, and I don't "ask" my son to work.  I stack up what he is to do.  I get him started and I am no further than seven feet from him until it's done.  I keep up a dialog with him and when he hits a snag, I am there to help him work his way through it.  There is no free time other than short timed breaks until it's done.   It's not optional.    Setting expectations this clearly has worked very well for him.  Instead of wasting his energy avoiding his work...
Starfall has a nice set of readers.   They match the "books" that you can read at the website, animated, so the child has the option to read along in their book while using the computer, or read the books alone later.  
I am not knowledgeable about literature or history.   In the past I have had difficulty with things that are abstract and to me, these are very abstract.  So I am learning alongside our oldest.  I find materials that are not overwhelming to use and I read just a little ahead of him.  I have also started doing some higher level reading in these areas for my own enjoyment.  And I borrow a lot of kids' books from the library in these areas and read through them myself, and...
To expect people to agree with and support the decision to homeschool, or to desire their approval, is a setup for disappointment.   When we accept that most will not approve and make our peace with that, we can put our attention and energy to better uses than being stressed over someone's disapproval.  Then when someone does approve and support us, it's a bonus !   But it's not necessary.
If I was working an 8-5 job, I would not have time to myself during the day....and I don't expect much of it while homeschooling either, since I treat homeschooling as my full-time day job.  I do my best to have them all done with their school work by 3 pm every day, about the time the bus drops the neighbor kids home from school.  DH gets home around 5 pm.  Between 3 and 5 they can play, and I can sometimes take some time to read, quilt, practice music or some other...
I would not expect her, or anyone else, to ever get it.  Most people are never going to be comfortable with homeschooling, period.  Being related to you does not make them any different.  Wanting anyone's approval will waste your energy.  Attempting to convince anyone that it is a valid option will waste your energy.  Save your energy for homeschooling.  Let your mom and any other naysayers in your life know, next time they bring it up, that you are happy with your...
Eye teaming and visual processing problems can contribute.  I would have her checked out by a COVD optometrist (that is a developmental optometrist - not a normal optometrist) http://www.childrensvision.com/reading.htm   If sounds are being confused, there can also be an auditory processing problem.   A screening can be done by a speech-language pathologist and the actual testing is done by an audiologist.    There are also some processing issues that can be...
It is very individual.  With math, some people can get a concept first and then have no trouble learning facts in a haphazard way and assembling them all to be organized in their heads.  Others can get the concept fine, but find it impossible to accumulate the facts without a methodical, gradually building approach.  And some people really do better to memorize first because that is easier for them, and then with lots of practice, the picture of how the numbers relate to...
Some people have trouble processing the visual information in those dice patterns.  They don't recognize the pattern and then remember the number of dots that goes with the pattern, so they count the dots over and over.   If you want to use the dice patterns, it might help to study larger version of the dice faces drawn on index cards, and use a colored marker to connect the dots to make a continuous figure - kind of like explaining constellations by filling in lines to...