or Connect

Posts by PGTlatte

I have heard that as well - that it is not challenging and very dry.  On the other hand, it's accredited, more affordable than many other accredited correspondence programs, and completely secular (for those who want that).  I have heard of students completing the entire 4 year program in 18 months.  Some people use it just to have the HS diploma, and then start community college at a younger than typical age.   So it sounds like it's not a very challenging or enriching...
The way we night weaned both our boys was for DH to start spending the night with them while I slept in another room.  If you don't want to completely wean him, you could still nurse during the day.  Both our kids adjusted to day nursing only pretty quickly.
There is also the American School of Correspondence:   http://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/  
Thank you.  I am looking up therapists that treat PTSD and children.  I am using the Psychology Today find a therapist tool.  I found someone I will call tomorrow.  I'm not sure how else to look for someone.  We won't be able to make an appointment until we are over this flu (it is really bad) but I want to start the process.  I do think this is PTSD and I don't want it to be a problem for years and years.  His feelings are intense and so angry and sad and afraid, and he...
We are doing it at home now, every four hours.  I would love to never have to force anything, but it's really necessary to do it no matter what, or he could end up with pneumonia.  Lung problems can become very serious very quickly if they are not addressed; to borrow a phrase, "it's a matter of life and breath", so I won't make it optional.   I will sit with him and be as comforting as possible.  Overall I would like to help him learn to relax, and deal with just the...
Right before his 3rd bday, our younger son had his appendix rupture.  This led to emergency surgery, and an extremely traumatic hospital stay.  His bowel did not start working again so he had to have an NG tube for a week - that goes in your nose, down your throat, and basically made him constantly gag for the entire time it was in - he was miserable.  He also had a lot of blood draws.  All of this was necessary to save his life.  I did get the hospital to use EMLA cream...
I use a googledocs spreadsheet.  It's free.  I enter each activity by date, subject area code, and fill in a little description.  When I need to pull it together to write a report for a time period, I sort all by subject, then by date, and I can see what he did over that time period for each subject area. 
I haven't figured out the quoting in the new software yet, so OP, you are purple....   DS1 is in 1st grade and has no real intrest in doing anything but playing and watching tv. When I try to get him to "do school" it is a huge fight and he can't focus for more than 5 min at a time. When our DS1 was in first grade (last year) I had similar problems.  The way I addressed it was to lock up the remote.  No TV until school work was done.  I helped...
I do think exposure to "classics" is important but I do not think it is necessary to address it as early as kindergarten, if these are not the type of material that works for your child at that age.   They can be enjoyed later.  I am just now starting through them with DS1 and he is almost eight.  He is able to pay better attention and get more out of them now than he would have been able to at a younger age.  So I like the focus on classics, but not the time/age...
I think it is important to be able to write legibly when we need to.  Our 7 yo has great difficulty with handwriting and written language in general.  I am using  a program called First Strokes.  It is secular.    If I wanted to improve my own handwriting, I would probably use Barchowski Fluent, or the Getty Dubay Italic program, because I like both of those.