or Connect

Posts by PGTlatte

I came back this morning to add some thoughts.  I would consider listening to advice along the lines of, "perhaps your child is choosing to nurse instead of eat....she may eat more food if you limit her access to nursing at times you know she is hungry, and then nurse after she has eaten some food."  That would be reasonable.  It really is not different than a child who chooses to drink a lot of cow's milk instead of eating.  A doctor might suggest limiting access to the...
You do not have to do what this doctor says.    You also do not have to be truthful with a doctor who has displayed such staggering ignorance - breast milk = juice ?  This person needs to do some research.   Me, frankly, I would not bother arguing with a doctor like this.  I have a friend who openly opposed a doctor on weaning a low-weight child and the doctor called CPS.  For this reason, I would continue nursing, but tell the doctor what he wants to hear.  I...
I would not attempt to participate in a specifically Christian home school group, even with no SOF required, unless I had confirmed that they do not mind if people of other faiths participate and that we would be welcomed.  My reasoning is this:  I would not want to put myself and our kids into a situation in which we are "undercover", with people just assuming we share their beliefs, and where I have to fear that if we are "outed", we might be officially "un-welcomed",...
If my child knew the letters, but was mixing them up at a distance of ten inches and the print was large and dark, I would be concerned.  I would go for an eye exam - preferably with a developmental optometrist.    http://www.covd.org/   What I learned from ours is that it is biologically normal for preschool-aged kids to be farsighted.  It is not recommended to put them in glasses for near vision at this age unless they are clearly outside of what is normal for...
I would check the SecularHomeschool.com community.   There is a listing of secular/inclusive groups by state there.  You might also search for Meetup.com groups in your area. 
If it is legible and the letters are formed correctly, I would not worry about it.  The other thing I would consider is how the child feels about writing.  If it's legible and he does not mind doing it, and is able to complete the work you want him to do without handwriting getting in the way, I would not worry about it.   Our 7.5 yo HATES to write.  HATES it.  He is very tense and stiff.  He wears himself out with the tension.  He must put so much effort into...
The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Wendy Pfeffer and Jesse Reisch   The Winter Solstice by Ellen B. Jackson    
Our older son is also almost 8 and was also working in the level 2 Singapore Math.  I decided we needed to take a break from the program.  It was really moving too quickly for him without memorization in place.  I am having him try a variety of different things.  Right now he's working through the Kumon multiplication workbook.  I also bought the books of level 1 and 2 word problems from Singapore Math, and one from Teacher Created Resources.  I have decided to just do...
I am glad you posted that...it's pretty much what I'm doing.  He sees a tutor who only tutors in reading, spelling, and writing, and she does it privately, not through any center, program, or school system.  She has some training for an approach that is often used for dyslexic people, and many years of experience tutoring in this area.  She is very flexible.  She notices what he struggles with, and she also listens to me describe trouble he is having with his work at...
I'm not sure I can offer advice because I am in the middle of this right now.  I can share some of my experience.   I don't know what to think about dyslexia anymore - our son has over 90% of the symptoms, including pretty severe difficulties with sequencing and memorization - came back to add, also right/left issues - , and the description for "dyseidetic dyslexia" matches him perfectly.  He has not been tested for dyslexia - he is under the care of a developmental...