or Connect

Posts by PGTlatte

No, I have never seen an article about how bad homeschooling is that I could take seriously - because they were written by "education experts" whose careers were forged in the public education system, who have no experience whatsoever with homeschooling.  I have never seen one based on measurable results that came to reasonable conclusions that homeschooling is not a good plan.     
I found this "counting to 100" placemat at a local teaching store.    http://www.brainymats.com/brainymats_green.html   It has been very helpful to our son who is 5.5.    
IMO nothing you could read on homeschooling would be wasted.  At worst, you learn that one approach or author's ideas aren't a fit for you.  I would read it all !  I started reading about homeschooling when DS1 was two.  I read John Holt, Raymond and Dorothy Moore, John Taylor Gatto, Linda Dobson, Rebecca Rupp.  I read everything I could find on unschooling, deschooling, Charlotte Mason homeschooling, and Thomas Jefferson Education.  I read The Well Trained Mind.  I read...
SOTW is not a subset of History Odyssey.  SOTW is a standalone program that can be purchased with its own activity guide and test questions book for each volume.   History Odyssey is a program by a different author, that plans lessons using multiple books as resources.  SOTW is one of those books. Someone who is using SOTW as guided by HO probably would not also use the SOTW activity guide or test questions, just the SOTW book and the other resources that the HO...
What does your DH want to do ? How does he feel about homeschooling in general, and the children being home with him every day ?  Does he enjoy his part of the homeschooling ?  Does he feel that his "lack of structure" is a problem ?  Is he frustrated by it ?  Or does he think it's the ideal approach for such young kids ?  Does he want to continue ?  Or would he jump at the chance to send the older ones to school if he thought you would agree to it ?   In many cases...
She claims it is "neutral".  I have not found in it anything at all like what might be in a creation-based science program.  I have the level 1 biology book.  So far I haven't seen any mention of evolution but I haven't seen any mention of any alternatives either.  The question does not appear to be approached.   I do my best to use 100% secular materials and I was aware of her intelligent design alignment, but I could not find anything comparable to these books that is...
I have not used it, but I am considering the McRuffy Language and Reading/Spelling and Phonics special edition color workbooks.  They have secular versions available too.  I have used and like both Evan Moor language arts stuff and Spectrum workbooks.  From Evan Moor I like the Basic Phonics, Language Fundamentals and Vocabulary Fundamentals series.  I also use Spelling Workout, not for spelling but for general language arts.  For reading I like the Flash Forward Reading...
It appears that Click'n Kids has recently registered a trademark for Click'n Math.   http://www.trademarkia.com/clickn-math-85213568.html        
You didn't mention unschooling at all in your OP.  Unschooling is one option and it sounds like that is what you are describing as homeschooling...but it's not the only way to homeschool and not everyone who homeschools gives up their "authority" mindset.  I personally have no plans to give up mine !  Our sons learn best when I set up the structure for them and set some expectations, so that is what I will continue to do.  If you want to homeschool but are not comfortable...
I am in a situation in which homeschooling our 8 yo is challenging with our 5 yo being who he is, and us keeping a very busy calendar of activities.  But it is very important to me to feel that I am meeting all of the requirements.  I will respond quickly with what I do:   Establish a set bedtime and stick to it.  Establish a set waking up time and stick to it, even if they are mad about getting up.  Have an efficient and non-negotiable morning routine.  Then get...