or Connect

Posts by artekah

Again, I truly did not mean to be cruel. That really is what I would say to my own daughter. I honestly don't have the skill that you other ladies seem to have of being able to gloss over infant circumcision. It's a human rights violation and it keeps me up at night. I know how it is done and the mental images haunt me.When people talk about it like it's just a benign personal parenting choice, alongside feeding, vaccines, and sleep choices, it does not compute for me....
Run from that pediatrician! They gave you really bad advice. Sadly, nutrition and breastfeeding are not typically covered in depth as part of a pediatrician's training. Even if you go back to the same doctor, don't assume they know what they're talking about when it comes to this subject. Your instincts are correct. Kellymom is a great resource for breastfeeding info, and you will also find tons of support if you can locate your nearest La Leche League and attend a...
Thanks Adaline'sMama, and OP I know I was harsh and I'm sorry for that. The thought of babies being circumcised (male and female) is extremely triggering for me. I did not mean to chastise or make OP feel worse, but I do want to make sure she knows that this is a big deal, and why. RIC makes me sad and enraged beyond words, and I am working on how to cope with those feelings--obviously I don't quite have a handle on them yet. Hugs OP.
The truth is that your baby is wounded very badly. He has had an important, necessary part of his body amputated against his will, and he will never get back what he has lost. He and any future partners will suffer the consequences of a less satisfying sex life. His glans won't be protected and will become calloused, and he'll be more likely to have sexual dysfunction later in his life. All this damage was done to him on the very small chance that it might prevent some...
Speaking of books, "Eat That Frog" is also fantastic!
This is similar to what I've been doing! As a weight-gainer for skinny kid plus as a super caloric booster for me after I've done a strenuous workout.I don't measure, but, it's about:1 frozen banana1/2 cup peanut or almond butter1 spoonful cacao powder3/4 cup coconut milk from canSometimes a sprinkling of sunflower or pumpkin seedsSometimes vitamin powder or a bit of hemp protein powderEnough almond milk to thin it down
I agree that you don't have the whole picture of anyone else's life, and who is to say that they don't envy you for something you're not even aware of? Don't think that they have everything just because they have the thing that you are missing in your life right now. Everyone struggles in one way or another. There are 2 things I do when I get to feeling this way--one, try to practice gratitude for all that I DO have. Writing down what you're grateful for is particularly...
Sorry, my mistake. My DH grew up as a scout in the south, and apparently in his troop there was not even one person who did not identify as Christian, and based on some of the language on BSA's website, I assumed. Still doesn't make it okay to exclude atheists. I'm sure there are plenty of boys who, even if raised in a particular faith, don't personally believe in God. That has to do with their own private personal truth and shouldn't be something they have to lie about or...
Exactly. Or, to put things in perspective another way, what if boy scouts allowed all boys, except fat ones and short ones? We are talking about an organization *for children* whose official policy is to bully children (yes, ostracism and outright exclusion is bullying). Nobody has ever claimed that the boys who participate in boy scouts are not nice boys. But guess what--the boys who are not allowed to join are nice boys too, and they don't deserve the pain of exclusion...
If you had read my whole post you would know that I mentioned my husband's experiences growing up as a boy scout, and I understand all of that.It doesn't change the fact that the boy scouts have a xenophobic and hateful policy that hurts many people. And that some of us care about standing up for others by making it clear that WE don't stand for that kind of bigotry, and we see it as so unacceptable that we refuse to be aligned with such an organization. It's 2012, for...