or Connect

Posts by Jennifer3141

Quote: Originally Posted by Island Mommy Exactly what naturegirl said. Now, I was looking at an older edition that I got from the library so perhaps things are laid out more clearly in the later editions. I'd have liked notes for parents that gave more information on the source of the historical information, how accurate it was considered to be by experts, whether there was disagreement amongst scholars as to whether it was fact or mythology,...
I'm introverted and I've found myself homeschooling with a few other introverted mamas. it's not that I don't like people per se, it's just that I'm exhausted when we're around too many. I need downtime after that. And I have a DS who is the exact same way. School would kill me if I had to take my kids. It made me sick pretty often as a kid. My friends and I have found that we kind of flounder in the big homeschool group with 100+ families. We end up just sticking...
Quote: Originally Posted by MaWhit Yes, and it sounds like it is narrated by the boring teacher from Ferris Bueller. HATE it! It puts me to sleep immediately!!!
I think we're simply history geeks, Zjande. I have a friend doing level three ancients HO with her son and daughter and she hasn't needed an answer key because she does it along with her kids. Gilgamesh threw us all for a loop a bit because that was a HARD read but that mom adored the work. I love that I get some of her materials passed on when they finally finish them and she loves that I can show her our picture books. I do think HO presumes that one or both parents...
Today, they need to draw a picture from Theseus and the Minotaur or of bull jumping and eat black and green olives. Tomorrow, we move onto the Myceneans.
And I want your deep freezer, Miss! That's one of those things we really need to get pretty soon. This house came with a nice-ish side by side refrigerator/freeser ahich we like because DH and I are tall. But it has ZERO space for a freezer and we feed our dog and cats a frozen raw diet. 1/2 - 1/3 of my freezer is always pet food. We had to push our co-op until tomorrow. Becasue DH and I don't have enough drama in our lives, our landlord has gotten this house into...
Nature, could you please move up here? We'd love to have you in our history co-op!!!
The local firemen came to one of the little libraries near us to do a program this afternoon. It was geared to preschoolers but this is the librarian who loves homeschoolers and she invited/reminded us about the program about 20 times. So we went. Man, was it funny! We watched a video on fire safety from 1962. It was sweet but it was called "Grandpa Joe's Secret" or something like that and when Grandpa Joe took the kid into the garage alone, Sarah and I looked at each...
Crunchy, our classical friends are gluten/soy/dairy/egg free so I have a small taste of what you go through on a weekly basis. I had to make brownies yesterday using flax seed and I really, really tried to like them but darn, they would have been so much tastier with eggs and butter!!! And what is it with children's librarians who clearly do not like children!?!? Why? Why? Why? Jessica, we do tons of HB eggs around here. I bought these egg shapers from japanistic.com...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lisa1970 It is aimed toward younger children, as in grade school age. It is not meant for high schoolers who are needing more in depth facts. I think it is excellent. It tries to bring the children in and does include some historical fiction. But there are no historical lies. I agree with Lisa about the target age and the fact that there aren't outright lies in SOTW. There are historical biases for sure though.