or Connect

Posts by 298mom

Anyone have experience with the gaps diet helping their little ones sleep better? Succees stories please! (Thinking of gaps for 17-month-old.)
My daughter's only 3, so I can't speak for unhomeschoolers (although I hope to find them in a few years!).  But there's a good LLL crew around here.  Meetings are on 3rd Thursdays, with occasional enrichment meetings.
My midwife recommended the supplement/herb protocol that's from the mothering article on GBS (and she added olive leaf extract starting at 36 weeks) for reducing my colonization (I'm 34 weeks and haven't been tested yet but wanted to start the routine now). But I haven't been able to find studies on the safety of the herbs during pregnancy, and some of them even say, "Do not take while pregnant" on the bottles.  Do midwives suggest these supposing they're safe or am I...
You've already made your decision, so maybe you don't want to think about other possibilities...but with my MW, it's against state law for her to give abx (even though she has training to do so), so our option was to hire a home health nurse to do it.  That might be an option for others who are reading this thread and are in the same boat.   Luckily my Mom is a nurse, so if we test positive, she'll do the iv.  (It's also state law in AR that if you choose to be tested...
I think another thing to consider is whether the doc is on board with all your other desires.  (Since you're planning to take your birth plan to your next appt, that should work things out.)  It's much better to have a clear understanding about everything with your doc beforehand.  Trying to negotiate when you're in labor is pretty difficult! So if he's on board with all your other requests, and birth position is the only issue, and if you want to stay with a hospital...
The hospital I went to had a rule about Mama's gown AND baby's clothes.  I couldn't put our own clothes on the baby until we were checking out.  Their reasoning is that clothes you bring in might be germy.  Pretty stupid reason, IMO.  (Obviously for the mom it's much more complicated, with all the reasons others have listed.  But for the baby, that was the only reason.) My Mom's an L&D RN, and she did say that sometime people would bring in clothes for the baby that...
Good luck with making your decision!  It can be so conflicting, especially when so few people are really educated about home birth, and the majority of what you hear about it is that it's dangerous, irresponsible, etc.  I'm in a similar situation - my Mom is a medical-minded RN, with 35 years of OB/NICU experience.  Since she's seen every worse-case scenario in the book in the NICU, if I choose home birth, it'll be a LOT of work convincing her that I'm making a...
We lived in a house with 1950's wiring, and there was one ceiling fan that we couldn't put them in - they would make a popping sound and start to MELT! They'd have a burned-looking place on them. Pretty scary.
Well, it IS possible that she might give up her nap since we're not nursing. But if we were still nursing, she would definitely sleep. This morning, for example, she was falling asleep nursing at 10am. I asked her if she wanted me to lay her down or get up and play, and she chose to play. But then at nap time, it took her a long time to finally get to sleep. The book on CD is a good idea - she loves books, so I'll pick some up from the library. I tried to put her...
Quote: Originally Posted by Evie's Mama I would also talk to her well before naptime about the behavior expectations once she is laid in bed. Makes sure she knows exactly what is expected of her rather than just trying to get her to comply once you are already there. That's the tricky part - what should I do when she gets out of bed? I don't know how much to expect out of a 2-year-old. If she's still long enough, she falls asleep. But how do...