or Connect

Posts by Louisep

I haven't been on the board in years, but as I was contemplating how we've made it through two awful sleepers and come out the other side, I thought I'd check back in and see if I could give some encouragement. Because mama, I was so there. More so with my first, though my second was also a horrible sleeper, he was better in some respects and as a second time mom, I KNEW it would get better, so I dealt with it better. As a first time mom, everyone tells you it gets...
I used a modified Jay Gordon approach with both my children who were horrible sleepers. I started with low expectations, aiming to simply eliminate the first nursing session of the night. My DH took charge of the rocking and cuddling at this first waking. Pretty quickly, my sons starting sleeping through the first waking and then we would tackle the second waking in the same manner. My husband was a bit of a rock star with the whole process. I would always go into nurse...
I wasn't going to have a second because of how bad DS1 was. Well, we got accidentally pregnant and i now have a 6 month old. I'm not going to lie, the boy doesn't sleep well at night, but I am not at all as sleep deprived as I was with DS1. I feel much more rested and I'm even working full-time. He's all round an easier baby, so I just nurse him and he's back to sleep. He does take good naps all by himself, so that's much better. We also don't need to do the bouncing to...
I'm not sure if we're allowed to say actually brand names - I'll email you. A randomized controlled study showed it reduced fussiness...I forget the exact findings but they were huge. I got mine by mail order but you could call around pharmacies. I think it was three times per day but I don't remember. The instructions are on the bottle though. The difference was incredible. I was also dairy free which is recommended with the probiotics.
He started off with 3 ounces every three hours at three months but just seemed to want more, so we increased. He was on the slowest flow nipple at first but we switched up around 5 months. I'll check in with the nanny on how she feeds him but I did go through it all with her before she started. He still fusses for more when he's done, but he's easily distracted so I think he's probably satiated.  The three hour mark seems to work well for him. It's so very hard to bottle...
Holy cow. So, I'm gone 8 hours a day...he really only needs 8 ounces? Does that rule of thumb change as they get older? That sounds so little! I would be so over joyed to cut back. I'm pumping round the clock to have enough.  
Did she or you have any antibiotics at birth? My DS2 had antibiotics in the NICU and he was in a lot of gastro pain as a consequence. I gave him probiotics and the relief was instant and amazing.   I have done my share of elimination diets with ds1. Are you reading labels careful? You can't eat anything with dairy derivatives, like casein. I would personally deal with one thing at a time - primarily your supply. It's overwhelming to try a bunch of different things at...
My baby is 6 months old and he has reverse cycled since I went back to work. I'm fine with nursing all night long but I'm completely empty in the morning and find it hard to pump enough while I'm at work to leave the nanny in the day. What is the bare minimum I can leave? He is fed by bottle at 9am (5OZ), 12 (6OZ), and 3pm (6OZ). I'm now breaking into my freezer stash as I am constantly about 3 ounces short each day. Does he need 17 ounces during the day if he's at the...
I do have some GSE but haven't been good at taking it. Dh and I are both on this anti-yeast diet. I just feel like I won't be able to get it off all our laundry and all of the kids' toys. And I really don't know how I'd even begin to treat my three-year old if he has it too.   Maybe I'll up the antibiotics and take the GSE orally (I've used it topically and in the with the laundry). Thanks
This is my second child I've nursed and from the very beginning I've had painful letdowns. My baby was in the nicu for a couple of days and they did give him antibiotics. I can't remember if I had pain the very first few times I nursed, but definitely remember within a couple of days of his birth.   He's now 6 months and we've been treated for yeast 3 times with prescription meds. He has been clear of symptoms for 3 months, but I still have painful letdowns. That's...