or Connect

Posts by jlobe

Quote: I personally stop to say thank you to people because it pulls me out of my own little world. I could be a jerk and not say TY, but I worry that people will feel less human if I don't. I don't mean a fake TY either. I mean a thank you with eye contact and a smile. I plan to raise my kids to do the same thing.
I understand what you are saying. i do believe that I can acknowledge the emotion causing my child to say hurtful things and be a safe place to have the conversation; however, I do feel it's important to say that it is not ok to say that she 'hates' me. As her parent it's important to tell her how it makes me feel... that it hurts my feelings. Her responses, no matter how authentic, do impact other people. I can understand what the true emotions are but others may not and...
OK, I would be curious as the the age of OP kids. I know my views on this have changed as my children have gotten older and the number of kids increased. My DD is 6 now and DS is 4 and I think there is something universal in Please, Thank-you, and Sorry that show respect for other people who can't understand your code. How we do things at home becomes the standard they bring into other interactions and if they can't do it at home, others may not understand the spirit...
Not speaking to the breathing/convulsing.... but the fear that brought it on is pretty normal for this age group. at about 5 my daughter became scared of things, couldn't fall asleep on her own and worried about scary books in her room. (We hid all the dinosaur books)
I used to work for the Kidney Foundation and we had alot of people get this credit. like the pp said, download the forms, take them to your doctor because she/he has to fill out certain sections and then whoever does your taxes.
My DD is 5 and would be way too scary... In my mind there is a world of great books and movies that are more age and temperment appropriate for my kids and eventually they will love the Harry Potter books/movies. For a great series of books of the fantastical variety and great for 5yo who are easily scared, the Moomintroll series by Tove Jansson are great.
Mine does - but my 5yo DD has quite the temper. It re-emerged at 4yo and is now abating a bit as she is learning some impulse control. I believe it is quite developmentally appropriate.
I have 5yo DD and I find it to be quite trying sometime. And like you, for some reasons I feel more enraged by her reactions than I do her 3yo DD. Partly it's because she seems so much older than him and I expect more "adult" like behavior from her whereas her brother seems alot younger somehow. Also, I find certain things create a stronger emotional reaction in me (talking back, not listening). I really liked the advice of watching myself and seeing if it was someone...
I haven't read all the posts, sorry if I'm repeating ..... I have a 5 and 3 year old and both me and my kids have benefitted from older kids working hard at playing together in a public playspace. When we are in a public playspace and a toddler is interested in my kids I encourage them to play with them at their level... because it's really good for my kids to learn how to play with children of different ages. Even if they resist at first, the unexpected fun and feeling...
I haven't read all the responses, But.... We don't buy Disney Princess or Barbie stuff for DD (5). We also don't watch the shows... Reasons - the portrayal of women is one reason, but for me a large part of it is the marketing piece and the fact is that the quality of the movies, books, toys is so poor. A year ago it was more of an issue, now she rarely asks. Her friends in Kindergarten play with them and we don't discourage her from it outside our house, but we...